I feel like an idiot

Jun 30, 2017
Greenwood SC
Here I am again . Green glorious pool and can not for the life of me figure out how I got it clear last year.... I have just today tested the CYA and FC.

CYA is 32
FC is 19.6

I have forgotten how I cleared it last year and I don't understand the FC CYA charts. Its like rocket science to me....
My husband has been dosing it in bleach, and instant liquid chlorine crystals for a month to no avail. I just got my Taylor K 2006, which he said was a waste of money but I trust you guys when it comes to pools..... LOL

I have to get this pool clear guys. Help me do this before my husband dumps some blue stuff in it...

Please Help!!

-J

First, chain your husband in the house and don’t let him near the pool!

Your FC is a bit higher than SLAM level for CYA of 40 (rounding up from 32) but that’s ok, we can work with this. First, since your FC is way up three, we can’t get an accurate PH reading.

You can either let FC drop to 10 or less and check your PH, adjusting it to about 7.2, then raise FC to 16 and SLAM. Or, you can just go ahead and let FC drop to 16 and start your SLAM.

You’ll want to check FC every couple of hours and if FC is lower than 16, use Pool Math to add enough liquid bleach to get back to FC 16.

If there is debris in the pool, start leaf raking (net) that out. Run your pump throughout the SLAM.

Same here, but today we got sun! Plus, you’ve got green water, so your chlorine isn’t just sitting around. I’d check again in a couple of hours and see where you are.

No really... Chain your husband to the wall inside your house!!! Use the
K-2006 test kit, get us some fresh current real numbers on your water chemistry and we will advise from there. If you are having difficulty using the test kit, I will explain further questioning if necessary.

FC Free Chlorine
CC. Combined Chlorine
CYA Cyanuric Acid
CH Calcium Hardness
PH
TA Total Alkalinity

Stick with liquid chlorine only.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did you get a CYA reading of 32? Our kits only measure in increments of 10. That's not a pool store test result is it?

It's a logarithmic scale, so if it's past the line at all, always round up to the next multiple of 10. So call yours 40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.