Spillover Spa flow

Rsmith

Apr 29, 2016
Central Md.
We have a spillover spa above the pool. This is the beginning of our 3rd year. I notice this year since opening that when I turn the spa on I now get a flow of water over the rocks. If all the valves are working correctly it should be the same water that is draining from the spa and being heated and returned to the spa. How can I have extra water in order for it to spill over? I don't recall this happening the last 2 seasons.

The motorized valve for your spa suction may have failed or may not be totally opening.

I have Jandy motorized actuators that move my valves between pool and spa modes. They do fail.

You need to know what the normal position of your valves are and how they move when you go to spa mode so you can observe them in operation and identify a failure.

Jandy acturator.jpg

If you are getting extra water that is causing a spillover, then the issue is most likely on your Intake valve. It may be taking in a small amount or a large amount from your pool, adding to the spa water volume and causing it to spill over.

First, I would be sure that the OFF side of the intake valve is pointing 100% to the pool side pipe. Sometimes, people have manually actuated it via the toggle switch underneath and left it in the opposite direction, or an in-between position (toggle switch in neutral/middle position, disabling it from automation commands.)

Next, I would shut everything off, remove the actuator and open up the valve to inspect if the diverter flap inside is actually in front of and sealing off the pool side intake. Also inspect the o-ring on that diverter. It's possible water is getting by that diverter. There are replacement kits available online.

rs,

Post a picture or two showing the automated plumbing going into the pump and the automated plumbing returning the water to your Spa/Pool...

If it worked before and now does not, as pointed out by the other posters, the most likely issue is a bad valve actuator..

What kind of automation do you have???

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I know its been a while since your response. We had a daughter get married 10 days ago so the last few months have been insane. The rehearsal dinner was a Bar-B-Que at the house and the pool was the center point of the party. As it turns out you were correct about the valve, it wasn't closing all the way. I finally had the service company come out today and he adjusted the cams so that everything is as it should be. Next time I will be able to fix myself so some good came from it. Thanks for you help Jimrahbe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.