Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 92 Degree pool, should I keep the Chlorine high?

1. Back To Top    #1

92 Degree pool, should I keep the Chlorine high?

My local pool company suggest 5ppm FAC... current numbers
    FAC 5ppm
    TAC 5
    pH 7.6
    TA 110
    CYA 80

Things are good now but I want to keep them that way..

Any suggestions for anything else?

2. Back To Top    #2
    With a CYA of 80, you should be keeping a higher FC than that. Chemgeek's chart in the "The Stickies" recommends 5.8ppm as the minimum FC and around 9 as the ideal level for your CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Your numbers look good, though as JohnT said, your FC is on the low side.

There are some helpful links in my signature that will help you take charge of your pool.

Welcome to TFP!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the info.. I'm running a salt system so I guess I'll pump up the output and retest

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by guisep
    Thanks for the info.. I'm running a salt system so I guess I'll pump up the output and retest
    Well, with a salt chlorinator, the chart doesn't apply. You can even go a little lower than 5ppm and be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

As John says, with an SWG you can go lower than the minimum in the chart. Around 3 ppm FC for 60-80 ppm CYA seems to be about the low limit. 2 ppm FC or lower produced algae in several SWG pools. A very few pools even had algae at 3 ppm and needed to use the minimum FC in the chart, but they are the exception. I think that the superchlorination in the SWG cell over multiple turnovers plus the consistent dosing prevent the free-floating green algae from growing.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7
    Thanks so much guys.. This is my first SWG so I'm learning as I'm going.. I'm glad I found this site..