Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to close pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to close pool?

I just finished a conversion to BBB.This question is for a friend who wants to convert when she opens up in the spring. What does she need to do to her pool when she closes this year?

Thanks
    27' 17,000 gal, AG,cartridge filter, 2.5 HP Waterway 2 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to close pool?

Do you mean as far as chems?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Nothing out of the ordinary. The only conversion needed is to stop buying your chemicals from a pool store and start buying them in the grocery side of Walmart, Sam's etc.. Unless she is converting from a biguanide pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, I'm not sure if you mean convert from Baq or just use the BBB method? If the pool is already chlorine, you are simply buying chlorine at Wal-mart in a liquid form instead at the Pool Store in Tablet form. Not really "converting" in the way you would with Baq.

When I close in the fall I shock the pool and put the cover on and winterize the equipment. That's about it.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Check the cya level and dump the appropriate amount of water in the fall while lowering to winterize. If you are in an area where water levels may get too high, refill the pool after the lines are blown out. This will make the 'conversion' to BBB easier in the spring
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm sorry..I didn't make my question clear. She is converting from Baq to BBB. She told the pool guy she was going to convert to chlorine next year and he told her to add 2 gals of Baq oxidizer when she closed and then convert to chlorine in the spring.I just didn't know if that was good info. So my question is... what do you guys think she should do as far as adding any chemicals when she closes her pool?

Deb

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, it's kind of a double edge sword... you close with the normal baq chems and then just check the levels in the spring and hope they are low (which will speed things up). Or don't add any closing chems and risk dealing with algae/mold too. I'd say the first is the better route. By spring the levels should be low. Just make sure she doesn't add any baq chems in the spring.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much

Deb