New to pools. Just got tester. Please advise

Water is clear new tests from 15 mins ago
Fc 15.5 ~ You can let this drift down to 5
Cc .5 ~ acceptable
pH 7.2~ aerate to bring this up & then (use PoolMath) to add Muriatic Acid to lower back to 7.2 to reduce TA
Ta 160 ~ You should try to get this down to 60-80 (see above note & this link for full instructions Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
Ch 325 ~ This is at the top range, no hardness increase needed, no solid forms of chlorine
Cya 50 ~ You can raise this to 70 (use PoolMath) CYA Now/_50_ Goal/_70_
Bold is responses :) (based on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry)

Pool open going to test again about 7pm. When I get my fc to correct levels What setting should my SWG be on assuming I run pump 12 hours per day ?
Pool School - Pool Equipment
Whatever setting allows it to maintain FC/5 (or FC/3 if you are willing to boost with liquid chlorine upto FC/5)
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I wouldn’t worry about TA right now. PH will drift up on its own and you will lower with muriatic acid, which will also lower TA.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tonight's test before additions
Fc 6
Cc .5
Ch 125
Ta 160
pH 7.2
Cya 50

I added 49 oz of muratic acid after aerating all day. Water is somewhat clear but when underwater with goggles it's very cloudy. I'm running pump 24/7 and hope it clears. Any suggestions . Ta lowered some at least

If your water isn't crystal clear there is no need to concern yourself with TA or CH. Lowering pH from 7.2 to 6.8 is never advised. Can you post a picture of the water please?

If your water isn't crystal clear there is no need to concern yourself with TA or CH. Lowering pH from 7.2 to 6.8 is never advised. Can you post a picture of the water please?

At this time no I can't however it was very clear this morning . Pool math app said to lower pH to help lower TA. SHOULD I add something to raise PH or just let it drift up. I think my cya needs to come up a little as well . I'm trying to get this all dialed in. Again I'm very new so I'm doing my best. In an ideal world I would like to run my pump no more than 12 hours per day and I'm still a little confused on what setting my SWG should be at to maintain proper FC. HEADACHES LOL

At this time no I can't however it was very clear this morning . Pool math app said to lower pH to help lower TA. SHOULD I add something to raise PH or just let it drift up. I think my cya needs to come up a little as well . I'm trying to get this all dialed in. Again I'm very new so I'm doing my best. In an ideal world I would like to run my pump no more than 12 hours per day and I'm still a little confused on what setting my SWG should be at to maintain proper FC. HEADACHES LOL
It's not safe to target for less then PH/7.2

Can you aerate?
See this part in Pool School - Lower TA:
"Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. This post, this one, and this one show examples of home made fountains and this post shows a spa style jet that fits into a return."
This is how we aerate (an elbow in the return and turned up to break the water surface) :)
poolaerationreturn.jpg

Aerating with slide and deck jets and turned returns to face up. Recent tests from 11 am
Fc 7.5
Cc .5
Ch 125
Ta 130
pH 6.8
Cya 50

Pool math app says to raise cya to 70 and I bought stabilizer to get there. My ta is still high. How should I deal with that? All the numbers are real close at least in my mind. I just want your expert collective knowledge on how to proceed

Aerate to increase PH, then lower it to 7.2 with muriatic acid, which will also lower TA. You can repeat this process as much as needed.

Once your PH starts sticking longer, you can assume that is the TA that is right for your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.