My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear

My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear

FUNANDSUN Now you are talking!!!

There are success reports on TFP with someone in California that filtered out fire ash successfully out of their pool after a forest fire near their home with the Duda Diesel 1 micron.

I never bothered to try the one micron because I thought it would create too much back pressure. But apparently someone else has already done it successfully.

I'm looking for the archived articles on it right now. I saw it the other night when I search Duda

Re: My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear Start @ message #40

Ok, Texas Splash was kind enough to break out the multiple stories going on in one thread so madyogi's situation can get remedied. So, I will rehash a bit here to save everyone from needing to read everything.

How we got to this point is all about filtration. As my signature says Rule #1: SLAM Kills Algae, Your Filter cleans the water.

Seems everyone with a little learning can get the Algae killed, but none of us can do much other than cheer our filters or spend $100's on upgrading filtration systems.

To that End, RobertScalchi had mentioned his experience with Duda Diesel bags which are used to filter Diesel Fuel and can filter in various levels with 5 microns being one of them.

To that end, I ordered 3 bags(1 as just a back up), 2 90degree Hayward elbows, and got 2 stainless steel hose clamps to secure the bags to the elbow, the elbows screw into my returns.

Duda 3 pack.JPGElbows.jpgHose Clamps.jpgDual Duda.JPGBoth Installed.JPG

They have been on now for a little over 30 hours now.

Before picture did not come out great in fact it was pretty dark, the sun had just peaked over our fence. I typically get my pic within 15mins of same time each day.

May 16 2018 Day 7 of SLAM
5_16_2018.jpg

Here is May 18 2018 Day 9 of SLAM (30 hours after duda installed)
5_18_2018.jpg

I took them off last night as my PSI had moved from 8 to 12 over the course of 12 hours and it was getting dark, I did not want to wake up to PSI issues. I cleaned them with the pressure washer and reinstalled for them to run all night.

Woke up this morning and it was only at 10psi, so I have not cleaned them a second time as of yet.

I am thinking of adding some weight inside the bag so that I could keep it down, as is now, the bag wants to rise up towards the surface of the water.

I am thinking marbles, maybe I will grab one of those stones I have around the retaining wall. Ideas welcome on adding weight.

I think the bags will do better pointed down and will make better use of the bag overall.

First impressions is these are getting dirty and I am seeing more of the bottom and towards the bottom in the deep end. They are working.

Water's looking good, funandsun! My experience was that I didn't have to weigh them down as much as just force all the air out of them before and after screwing them into the returns. After my first installation, with bags constantly trying to turn upward, I spent a bit of time forcing any air out of them, and they stayed down after that.

Take a pic daily

May 9 Fiber Clear started & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_9_2018.jpg

May 10 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_10_2018.jpg

May 11 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_11_2018_FC3.jpg

May 12 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_12_2018_FC4.jpg

May 13 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_13_2018.jpg

May 14 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_14_2018.jpg

May 15 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_15_2018.jpg

May 16 w/Fiber Clear & Hair Net in skimmer basket then through Sand Filter
5_16_2018.jpg

May 17th & 18th, No Fiber Clear. Hair Net in skimmer basket through Sand through Duda 5 micron bag attached @ BOTH returns
5_18_2018.jpg

I can see a distinct difference between May 13th 14th and 15th. It looks like you are at that cloudy blue phase where the sun light is just start to show and break through the water clarity on the pool floor. Keep going !!! :) should be a matter of a couple of days now.

OH YEAH!!! MAY 20TH Looks like Caribbean Water. YEAH ITS WORKING!!! Its just around the bend...from hazy clear....Maybe 1 to 3 more days.

I always wondered myself with the bags. "Do I get clearer faster by cleaning them more frequently at 5 micron?" "Or do I let them load up a little bit more?"

That's the thing? I've seen little poofs of green or brown come out of the bag if I were to squeeze it inside the pool, more with the pump on, than off.

So? I let mine load up to about 18 psi, until the water clarity changes, and 18 psi can no longer be sustained. Then if it runs 24 hrs between 12-14 psi, ill just clean them every morning after a 12 or 24 hr run.

OH YEAH!!! MAY 20TH Looks like Caribbean Water. YEAH ITS WORKING!!! Its just around the bend...from hazy clear....Maybe 1 to 3 more days.

I always wondered myself with the bags. "Do I get clearer faster by cleaning them more frequently at 5 micron?" "Or do I let them load up a little bit more?"

That's the thing? I've seen little poofs of green or brown come out of the bag if I were to squeeze it inside the pool, more with the pump on, than off.

So? I let mine load up to about 18 psi, until the water clarity changes, and 18 psi can no longer be sustained. Then if it runs 24 hrs between 12-14 psi, ill just clean them every morning after a 12 or 24 hr run.

Robert,

Yeah, I noticed that last night when I removed them to be cleaned. Light brown poof.

So, what would you suggest for a weight? I can put a rock, a few marbles, something to weight the bag down.. I would prefer the elbow be pointing straight down so that the water is keeping force for the entire bag. Make sense?

And I agree, 2-3 days tops, really picking up steam now.

I've never had that issue with the bags turning up. Maybe perhaps if you prime the bag with water through the elbow, just before you screw it in the return housing? You could use a few polished river rocks in the bag if my first suggestion doesn't work?

Hmm?.. Now you have me thinking? What type of micro rocks have weight and filter? Charcoal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: My SLAM w/ Duda Bags & Fiber Clear

I've never had that issue with the bags turning up. Maybe perhaps if you prime the bag with water through the elbow, just before you screw it in the return housing? You could use a few polished river rocks in the bag if my first suggestion doesn't work?

Hmm?.. Now you have me thinking? What type of micro rocks have weight and filter? Charcoal?

Yep, done the prime the bag thing didn't work. I removed them today and cleaned them again, put the eyelets back in to get some circulation going after I vacuumed this morning and until I come up with a possible solution.

I am thinking clear glass marbles (Hobby Lobby maybe) or an idea that hit me while I was pressure washing was... how about some sand or small rocks in a water bottle that is crunched down to take up less room in the duda and the lid. Obviously remove the water bottle label. I tried the water bottle with just water but again, the bottle is too short and too light, so it still bends right back up.

It seems the water coming into the bag is creating air bubbles which are lifting the bag up.

I will post a solution when I have one that works.

- - - Updated - - -

Stupid question - what is that blue object in the middle of your pool?

Haha kellyfair... I have been waiting on someone, anyone to see it. It's been in every picture lol.

It is my floater with a couple of tri-chlor tabs that I deploy during slam due to backwash and evaporation.

I got one of those climbing clips and some string, my floater has this little hole in the lid and I thread it through there. My 2 returns keep the floater typically right in the middle of the pool 90% of the time and I have the floater slits opened about 1/5 of its range just to keep a gentle touch on the CYA.

Thanks for noticing.

Ok, so here is an update for today. I LOVE WORKING ON MY POOL! I know, I know, hated it for years, now, you can't keep me away. Wife swears I have been abducted.

So... the last couple of days I have noticed this in my skimmer sock, it is not sand. We have not had a lot of pollen but we have had some.

I am more suspect that this is Fiber Clear.

Reason it is not sand is because it is stringy not individualized. My first thought was cellulous fiber because that is what it feels like. Fiber, clothy (is that a word?)

I got a little heavy handed and added 2 cups vs 3/4 recommended back on 5/15/2018. I wonder a lot of things about it actually. I have not added Fiber Clear since the backwash on 5/17/2018. I noticed this first on 5/18/2017 and my Duda bag also turns this yellowish color and I wonder if it too is catching this (whatever it is)

Will not add Fiber Clear to rule it out for now.

As of right now the Filtration consists of Skimmer Sock and Sand Filter.

Duda has been removed until I find a solution to weighting it down. Mine floats up and I have a few things that are rolling around my head to solve that and will report back a solution when I have one.

Skimmer Sock brown sandy or fiber clear.jpg

upclose debris.JPG

As far as the pool goes, here is this mornings pic.
5_19_2018.jpg

The floating duda bags suggest you have a leak in your return lines (letting air in) or an aerator "feature" on your system =) (one is good, one not so good) ;)

I become more and more convinced that Filtration is my weakest link. Filter has been running since 4/30/2018.

We had Cartridge, moved to sand in 2013 on bad feedback and we were not an educated pool owner at the time.

How uneducated?

We did not know that there would be a micron level difference between the capability of Sand vs Cartridge. THAT uneducated. If I would have heard anything remotely close that implied Sand will work "but not as good", it would have been a deal breaker for me. We went with Sand thinking it would be better.

No seriously, that it would be better. ok ok stop laughing.

Live and Learn, it's only money right? ugh.

I become more and more convinced that Filtration is my weakest link. Filter has been running since 4/30/2018.
We had Cartridge, moved to sand in 2013 on bad feedback and we were not an educated pool owner at the time.
How uneducated?
We did not know that there would be a micron level difference between the capability of Sand vs Cartridge. THAT uneducated. If I would have heard anything remotely close that implied Sand will work "but not as good", it would have been a deal breaker for me. We went with Sand thinking it would be better.
No seriously, that it would be better. ok ok stop laughing.
Live and Learn, it's only money right? ugh.

Personally we LOVE our sand filter =) I'd rather be able to temporarily increase my filtration (as needed) then something that requires more expense. I have no experience with DE(exclusive) filter and hated our (cheap) cartridge. =)

The floating duda bags suggest you have a leak in your return lines (letting air in) or an aerator "feature" on your system =) (one is good, one not so good) ;)

Ran out and took some pics. Loading them up now.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally we LOVE our sand filter =) I'd rather be able to temporarily increase my filtration (as needed) then something that requires more expense. I have no experience with DE(exclusive) filter and hated our (cheap) cartridge. =)

increase as needed? Do tell.

increase as needed? Do tell.
Adding DE, or "external" filter media (duda diesel filter bags, skimmer nets, etc) as needed/warranted . But knowing that my main filter can handle 98% of filtering needs (granted our (current 15'x33") pool is HEAVILY over filtered because we got a deal on the upgrade filter set-up, as we DO plan to buy a large AGP (16x16x48 or if we can find the 52" again) in the next year or two.

Ok, the returns. We have 2, 1 in shallow end and 1 in deep end.

Shallow end is where there are clearly bubbles as shown here

Return Shallow Close up Bubbles.JPG

Lets come back to the damage there in a moment.

Here is my deep end return
Return 2 Deep End.JPG

I did not notice bubbles in the deep end return on exit.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding DE, or "external" filter media (duda diesel filter bags, skimmer nets, etc) as needed/warranted . But knowing that my main filter can handle 98% of filtering needs (granted our (current 15'x33") pool is HEAVILY over filtered because we got a deal on the upgrade filter set-up, as we DO plan to buy a large AGP (16x16x48 or if we can find the 52" again) in the next year or two.

Ahh, gotcha, yes, I think my experience with Sand could have been different with one twice as big as we have (150lbs). That said, I am suspect that I am not using the Sand filter properly either. But let's come back to this.. I really want your opinion about this return issue.

That at least identifies where to start looking, pretty sure there shouldn't be bubbles (unless that outlet has an aerator insert) (our aftermarket return has a removable one), not sure what it would look like on the IG

Damage indicates it froze? (not a pool equipment tech, just guessing, lol)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.