If anyone is still awake need some help fast if possible.

So in the interest of Frugality, I have a question...

I currently own a Basic DPD test (T-1001) and a HTH 6-way test. As well as some more or less useless test strips.

TFP's test for FC, PH, TA, CH, and CYA, also possibly CC, Salt, Borate, and Phosphate

Per argument below I postulate I just need to but the FAS/DPD chlorine test

FC - with postulated FAS/DPD test
PH - with currently owned DPD or 6-way
TA - HTH 6 way (it is titration based)
CH - Not needed (AGP Vinyl)
CYA - First test done with 6-way, reagent refil on order
CC - with postulated FAS/DPD test?
Salt - N/A
Borate - N/A
Phosphate - N/A

so the way I see it, I only need a more accurate way to measure FC and CC.

I did order some [FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]Taylor R0871C FAS-DPD Because someone told me you could use it to titrate out the DPD chlorine test (uses 5 drops of R-0001 and 5 drops of R-0002) but I dont know if this is true?
Also read somewhere that with DPD you could add 5 more drops of one of the reagents and it would do CC but I don't remember the directions for that one?
Also considered just diluting the DPD/OHO test by half with well water and measuring above 5 ppm that way...
Am i being too cheap right now or will I be fine with buying just the FAS/DPD portion of the kit.
Also, is it possible to just buy the powder since I bought the titrant already or is there a special tube (the 6-way test came with a graduated cylinder that goes up to 25 ml) like seems to be the case for everything?[/FONT]

I'm going to postulate that you are being "frugal" right now. you could skimp by doing what you can, but at the end of the day, the TF-100 test kit will be one of the best investments you can make for your pool. It's actually more frugal in the long run to buy the kit than to try to skimp by. If you prevent one algae outbreak, the kit basically pays for itself.

have a read through this thread for some test-imonials...

either way, we'll be here to help you have a clear beautiful pool.

I'm going to postulate that you are being "frugal" right now. you could skimp by doing what you can, but at the end of the day, the TF-100 test kit will be one of the best investments you can make for your pool. It's actually more frugal in the long run to buy the kit than to try to skimp by. If you prevent one algae outbreak, the kit basically pays for itself.

have a read through this thread for some test-imonials...

Yeah, I am gonna go with the home team here, pony up and get either the TF-100 XL or the Taylor K-2006C. Lets keep the most important part of everything else we are doing 100% on point. I mean I am as frugal as they come, but I learned a long time ago, it is always worth getting accurate information.

That's a good thread.. even if I do say so myself ;o))

I understand sticking with the status quo and harping on the tried and true. I still would like an answer to my question though.

The only things i need to test for are FC, CC, PH, TA, and CYA due to my pool type. The PH and TA should be sufficiently accurate with my current kit. The CYA is identical as far as I can tell. What i need better of is FC and CC.
Is it possible to just get the indicator powder and titrant for the FAS/DPD and that will give me the FC and CC answers I desire?

I DO intend to get a TFT-100-C at the beginning of the next pool season (if it is possible to wait). Budget is somewhat tight and the wife is complaining about all the spending already done (though the pool is mostly for her).

I did a Google search for FAS/DPD refill, and a bunch of options came up. Looks like you can get the individual components at Walmart.

I understand sticking with the status quo and harping on the tried and true. I still would like an answer to my question though.

The only things i need to test for are FC, CC, PH, TA, and CYA due to my pool type. The PH and TA should be sufficiently accurate with my current kit. The CYA is identical as far as I can tell. What i need better of is FC and CC.
Is it possible to just get the indicator powder and titrant for the FAS/DPD and that will give me the FC and CC answers I desire?

I DO intend to get a TFT-100-C at the beginning of the next pool season (if it is possible to wait). Budget is somewhat tight and the wife is complaining about all the spending already done (though the pool is mostly for her).

I have no doubt that you can make it work. I would not know how to make it work, but I believe you can make it work.

I do appreciate how you stick to your guns. It's good solid stuff.

yes, you can get just the powder and the 0871 titrate.

To answer your question, you need to test for
pH this is the same test you have and sufficient accuracy
FC You have the OTO test (left side of that block in shades of yellow) It's ok for checking if you have some chlorine, but wont help you diagnose any issues
CC You don't have any way to test this currently. Need the FAS/DPD test (R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops). Then R-0003 drops & R-0871 drops
TA this is the same test you have and maybe sufficient accuracy (part of HTH 6-way)
CH this is the same test you have and maybe sufficient accuracy (part of HTH 6-way)
CYA this is the same test you have and maybe sufficient accuracy (part of HTH 6-way)

you do need to occasionally test all these parameters to have a trouble free pool.

If you can't swing the fill blown kit, then at minimum, go to tftestkits.net and get their FAS/DPD kit. It's going to be difficult to maintain the FC per TFP guidelines with the OTO test only. It only goes up to 5ppm and that only gets you to a CYA of 20-30ppm. Most ppl keep CYA above this range. Is it possible, yes. But it can be questionable.

The TF-100 from tftestkits.net will be there when you're ready.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
looks like I will need some R-0003 as well to do CC, but other than that, the HTH 6 way kit graduated cylinder has a 10 ml line. following the directions on the one page testing instructions page that is all i need (R-0870, R-0871, R-0003, and a way to measure out 10 ml)

Leslie pool store may be useless for some stuff, but they did seem to stock reagent refills. Gonna swing by there tomorrow and see if they have
R-0871 and R-0003.

FAS/DPD Chlorine Test
More complicated, but gives a wider range, more precision, and also separately measures FC/CC.

1) Rinse and fill sample tube to 10ml mark.
2) Use teeny blue scooper (hold the flat end) to put one heaping scoop R-0870 powder into sample, swirl to mix. (OK if not all dissolves.) Sample should turn pink. If it "flashes" pink then the pink disappears, add more R-0870. If there's never a hint of pink at all, skip step 3; FC=0.
3) Add R-0871 one drop at a time, swirling the sample continuously, 1-2 sec between drops. Stop when sample turns colorless. Multiply #drops by 0.5 to get FC. (If it turns pink again after a few seconds, don't worry about it.)
4) Add 5 drops R-0003, swirl to mix. If it remains colorless, CC=0. If it turns pink, again add drops of R-0871 (swirling continuously) until it turns colorless. Multiply drops by 0.5 to get CC.
5) CC > 0.5 indicates a need to shock.

looks like I will need some R-0003 as well to do CC, but other than that, the HTH 6 way kit graduated cylinder has a 10 ml line. following the directions on the one page testing instructions page that is all i need (R-0870, R-0871, R-0003, and a way to measure out 10 ml)

Leslie pool store may be useless for some stuff, but they did seem to stock reagent refills. Gonna swing by there tomorrow and see if they have
R-0871 and R-0003.

Cool... be sure to check the expiration dates on the reagents.

So tested fc with k-1001 using half purified water and half pool water verified versus a blank of purified water I got 2.5-3 x 2 = 5 or 6 FC tried with OTO but it was useless.

Pic attached was testing my tap water pH (well water) vs purified bottled water, tap is the one that is yellow... (Both were hit with the k-1001 pH test...)
e94c8d56d71782ea4aefaf337bc5820d.jpg

I didn't read every post on page 4, but it seemed like maybe you wanted this link?
http://tftestkits.net/R-0003-DPD-3-Reagent-for-K-2006-or-TF100-p8.html $5.25+sh

http://tftestkits.net/R-0870-DPD-Powder-for-TF-100-and-K-2006-p43.html $10.75+sh
If you're going that route, I'd suggest the entire standalone FAS-DPD test bundle for $30+sh
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine-CC-s-test-p47.html

We don't care what test kit you end up with, as long as you have trustworthy results for all the variables needed.

tldr: TF100's bigger bottles and easier refill tips the scales for me! Highly suggest the XL option
I have both K-2006 (didn't trust the TF-100 yet and was too penny-wise-pound-foolish for the K-2006C and ended up ordering fas-dpd refills) and the TF-50 (because I already had a PH test but ended up ordering fas-dpd refills too). The Taylor kits are perfectly acceptable, but what really tips the scales for me are the REFILLS! Because I order all my chemical refills from http://tftestkits.net, during their pre-summer sale, I no longer plan to buy Taylor Kits which come with boxes and bottles that are too small. The .75 oz bottles are obviously much smaller than the 2oz bottles - and that means they run out sooner, in my case, less than a year. The XL option on the TF-100 is really fantastic and allows me to SKIP extra shipping charges - just need one refill order, on sale, once per year, no other chem purchases yay!

I'll probably end up buying it, probably even before the summer is over, problem is we are young (late 20's), bought this house about a year ago (and got married about 6 mo before that) and the projects never stop (have 10 acres, 2 horses, 10 ducks, 1 goose, 9 chickens (all foul are about 7 weeks old), 2 dogs, and 1 cat). Have a garden we just started, need tractor work done, need fencing converted to field fencing from barbed wire, and the list goes on. We ended up paying a little over $500 for someone to install the liner based off of ~2 mo backlog on installers in the area (and that's with me supplying the sand for the cove wall AND the liner). I have spent a good bit of money in the last week other than that on the 2 test kits I bought ($30) the leaf screen thingie ($20), a crappy vaccum ($15), CYA ($20), bleach ($20), new pump and multivalve ($300), 400 ft of hoses to reach neighbors house ($100), skimmer flapper, drain plug for chlorinator, PVC piping and connections to fix hard piping (last few combined ~$150), and this has way overshot our budget for this. I am now trying to save some in the short term when I do not see an appreciable difference in buying the exact components needed for what I need vs paying $90+ on the TFT-100 XL option. Later on, sounds great, short term, not so much.

As long as you can test for what you need to - spending as little as possible right now makes sense to me! No shame at all in buying the reagents you're missing to complete the DIY kit.

I hear you on the budget overruns - things actually got more expensive than they were when I budgeted them to a much greater degree than I can ever recall. I shall consider it an acceptable consequence of a somewhat consumer-optimistic-spend-happy economic cycle stage.

As I think you've read - for a vinyl pool - being able to test FC & CC along with CYA gives you a great ability to keep it safe. even the cheapest PH tests can help it stay comfortable to eyes and skin plus ensure you are in an effective range for chlorine. CH only really comes in for vinyl if you have hard water or heater. TA is helpful to know and extremely important in certain cases and always help maintain PH easier.

That's fine being cheap or frugal that's why we are all here utilizing the BBB. I've used that 6 way HTH OTO test kit for six years in addition to the K-2006 when I am maintaining PH and FC at 5ppm and below. Why am I going to burn through the FAS-DPD drops when I can use up my OTO HTH which only requires 5 drops to test. I've had my 6 way HTH for about 3-4 years now. Works just fine.

(have 10 acres, 2 horses, 10 ducks, 1 goose, 9 chickens (all foul are about 7 weeks old), 2 dogs, and 1 cat)

StarGate to Earth had a Farm.. E I E I Oooooooo

No worries dude, you got this, sorry to hear about all the overruns on the budget. Beautiful thing is you will know more about your testing and results and that will make you an awesome pool owner. Win-Win!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.