LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’d like to take a few minutes to share just a bit of my life the past few days,

I’m a father of 3 girls and I'm sure one day I'll be hiding in the basement in fear. So the other day the oldest, that’s this one who’s 11,
IMG_3846.jpg
The oldest came to me and asked if we could walk out to the pool really quick as she wanted to put her feet in the water. I chuckled at this request as I asked her if she was ready for Summer yet. After a few seconds she informed me that her teachers told her all students will be turning in their laptops at the end of next week to finish up all projects that are due. She put one plus one together and knew that meant her school year was just about complete. Since then I’ve daily heard “I don’t wanna go” every morning when she’s getting ready for school.

A few days later we were driving home from the first soccer game of the season when this occurred with my middle daughter, 8, that’s this one,
IMG_4533.jpg
My middle daughter had asked if tonight after soccer she could jump in the pool rather than take a shower. She had just taken a shower the night before but we always make her take a quick shower after soccer as she tends to go all out and is always covered in sweat once completed. I gave my normal cop out answer of “we’ll see” and kept driving. Again when we got home she asked if she could take a “chemical bath” tonight instead of a shower. We jokingly use the phrase chemical bath every summer as during the summer we frequently let them skip baths after they spend the entire day in the pool. She was all ready to once again start this trend back up.

As you can see my oldest two daughters are all ready to start off the summer as am I. Over the summer the kids will spend hours outside unplugged from the internet laughing and playing with their friends. The pool will become their central hub with their friends all coming over and joining in on the enjoyment. They will be kids……. Unfortunately my answer to both of these requests was no. I had to say no because this is our pool,
IMG_1048.jpg

Due to life occurring we opened the pool this year to this giant mess and that’s something we’ve faced in the past. Years ago before TFP it was very common for us to open to this color of water. I would greatly fear opening as I knew it would cost us hundreds of dollars and we’d likely spend several weeks trying to get it to a shade of blue. Now however thanks to TFP I know this will be able to get under control in short matter for not much cash. I know I’ll be able to get these girls in the water very shortly. The knowledge I’ve learned on TFP is something I so desperately want to share with other pool owners and thanks to our TFP Supporters you’re allowing us to do this. The funds you share with us has allowed TFP to continue our mission of teaching TFPC to pool owners and stay financially neutral for over ten years now. We are reaching thousands of users per year and bringing the same level of happiness as the website has brought to me. We are able to turn away offers for advertisements as we know it could easily “cloud” our teachings. We’re able to focus on teaching facts……..not teach what fits our wallets best. All of that is thanks to you, and we thank you greatly!! We have been able to now offer Pool School on eBook for free on iBooks and Google Play or for a dollar on Kindle due to Amazon requiring us to charge something. We were able to upgrade our server this Winter to help ensure we have room to expand plus put us into a position where future features can be added if needed. We are able to develop PoolMath into an iOS and Android App thanks to subscribers of the App and we’re continuing to add new features to that as we go. The financial support of this forum is doing GREAT things for pool owners and each of you should be proud of the help you’ve given us. None of the forum you see now would have been made without your support.

For those whom haven’t heard how TFP is funded I’d like to share with you a summery. TFP is a 501c3 nonprofit that accepts no money or products from outside companies. The advice we teach is based solely on science, not our pocketbook. We are funded by both donations to the website from our members and from subscriptions to the PoolMath App. If you are finding the information useful on TFP we ask that you please consider supporting us so we can continue to teach users worldwide.

As for the third child,
IMG_4076.jpg
Well, I can’t keep her from playing in the toilet so I expect I’ll soon be hearing from her to go swimming too.

Well I found one that isn’t really excited about the start of the season. This guy made his was past the skimmer basket, into the plumbing, and ended up in the pump.
DC0E3AFC-01C0-4CED-B119-2F8B09C0F505.jpg

Lee! Those faces!! How could you say no?? Oh wait the POOL said no for you! Well sir get out there and start pouring in chlorine so those cuties can enjoy their pool! I know you would do anything for them and it shows in their faces! Those are some of the cutest kids I have seen!

I think back to the Dad that wanted the pool open for his daughter's birthday party to the point he set his alarm for every two hours to add more chlorine. It worked and the pool WAS ready and her smile said it all! Then there was the prom party that one mom put on for the high school kids that went off without a hitch due to her finding TFP! Those are just two examples of oh so many that shows how TFP has helped people archive their dream pool!

Me? I would not even have a pool if it was not for TFP :roll: Husband wanted another pool after the pool store "helped" me ruin the last one. I challenged him to find a way for me to care for it without going to the pool store. I should have known better as he is the search King.........a couple of mins later he had found TFP and shot me the link.............I did some major reading and liked what I saw. I even went so far as to order the test kit BEFORE I ordered the pool to make sure I could do the tests. Found them to be easy and even fun to do! Look at me now...............a MOD here LOL Life sure is funny like that!

:hug: to all that makes TFP the wonderful place it is!!!!!

Kim:kim:

Well sir get out there and start pouring in chlorine so those cuties can enjoy their pool!

You know those users every year who’s lives are running 24/7 who think they can’t SLAM? That’s me this week. Tomorrow our middle daughter is making her first communion so today is dedicated to getting ready for her party. Tomorrow is spent in party mode and work calls on Monday. Next week I’ll be waking up at 2am and at work by 3am, working until 2pm and picking up the kids at school by 2:30. A quick break until 5ish when bla bla bla bla. I think you get the point. That said,

I’m putting myself in a place where Thursday I can start hitting it hard. I’m gonna basically go into tinker mode until Thursday when I’m able to spend some time SLAMMING it correctly. Yesterday I repaired a pipe that was broken and added 4 gallons of 10% chlorine. We let the pump run just enough to mix and called it good enough. Turned the pump off and forgot again we’ve got a pool. Went out there today to this,
BAC71410-6C4E-4722-BC6E-DFB816F5EE5D.jpg

We added another 4 gallons of 10% and ran the pump for about an hour. Oldest was able to have her wish fulfilled.
46FAFA22-5423-42CC-A792-14B7D1AE2B6E.jpg

I’ll be tracking in great detail what I’ve done to the pool in PoolMath app and will share once completed. Should be kinda interesting. So far here’s my numbers,
==============================
Lee's Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 24000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.5
pH: 8.2
TA: 40
CH: 130
CYA: 30
TEMPERATURE: 66°
==============================

Well today was spent on this little girl......................please make her stop growing up!
CEAA54CE-AE58-4E2A-9541-7A32DBF50767.jpg

Added a gallon of bleach and moved on. :D Still got this far though.
663B6352-C42A-4921-99B3-BC8ACD9435ED.jpg

0549AA87-E6B3-44E4-96A2-5C44DDE9B24F.jpg

Today was the first day I was really able to spend some time on the pool. It’s in desperate need of a vacuum but our old robot decided to quit working this year. That dang thing spoiled me big time!!!

And my log on what’s been added and done so far.......
Maintenance 11-05-2018 @ 03:04 PM
Brushed

Chemical Addition 11-05-2018 @ 03:04 PM
+ 1 Gallons of Bleach

Test Results 11-05-2018 @ 01:47 PM
Free Chlorine: 11.5
pH: 7.4
Temperature: 68°F

Test Results 10-05-2018 @ 04:08 PM
Free Chlorine: 12.0
Temperature: 70°F

Maintenance 10-05-2018 @ 03:54 PM
Cleaned Filter
Pressure: 18

Chemical Addition 10-05-2018 @ 03:30 PM
+ 1 Gallons of Bleach

Test Results 10-05-2018 @ 03:22 PM
Free Chlorine: 8.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.4

Chemical Addition 09-05-2018 @ 04:19 PM
+ 1 Pounds of Trichlor

Test Results 09-05-2018 @ 04:19 PM
Free Chlorine: 7.5

Chemical Addition 09-05-2018 @ 03:55 PM
+ 2 Gallons of Bleach

Test Results 09-05-2018 @ 03:34 PM
Free Chlorine: 4.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 40
Calcium Hardness: 60
Temperature: 69°F

Notes 09-05-2018 @ 03:30 PM
First test using SpeedStir this year.

Test Results 08-05-2018 @ 05:33 PM
Free Chlorine: 4.0

Maintenance 08-05-2018 @ 05:14 PM
Brushed

Chemical Addition 08-05-2018 @ 05:14 PM
+ 2 Pounds of Trichlor

Chemical Addition 08-05-2018 @ 05:13 PM
+ 2 Gallons of Bleach

Chemical Addition 06-05-2018 @ 05:41 PM
+ 1 Gallons of Bleach

Test Results 05-05-2018 @ 02:56 PM
Free Chlorine: 5.0

Maintenance 05-05-2018 @ 02:41 PM
Brushed
Pressure: 25

Chemical Addition 05-05-2018 @ 02:29 PM
+ 1 Gallons of Bleach

Test Results 05-05-2018 @ 02:11 PM
Free Chlorine: 1.0
pH: 8.2
Total Alkalinity: 40
Calcium Hardness: 130
Temperature: 66°F

Chemical Addition 05-05-2018 @ 02:04 PM
+ 3 Gallons of Bleach

Dang Lee, you trying to make a grown man tear up?

We have 5 kids in our blended home and our pool is and has been central to our summers. From kids and friends just like your daughters, to family gatherings for Summer Holidays we always "hoped" the pool looked good if even for 24 hours.

My frustration over the years was 100% because I knew I didn't know anything and was skeptical to trust anything online.

TFP brought joy to our backyard and Pride on my families faces when friends or relatives are over and that pool is sparkling and clean as a whistle.

Thank you for opening up your family and schedule with us. To all of the volunteers that work tirelessly to answer questions and even the same questions over and over..

THANK YOU from all of us out here in Pool Land.

We would still be drowning in bad information and unpleasant experiences without each of you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just out if curiosity? How come you added the trichlor mid treatment in there when the beginning and recent treatments were bleach? Did you intend to raise your CYA up from 0 to 30?
I can’t find any good deals on liquid chlorine just yet so I keep buying one or two jugs here and there. When I added Trichlor it was just because I knew I could use some extra CYA and I really wanted the increase in FC. :)

Fun and Sun,
That’s exactly the boat we’re in. Family gatherings include about 35-40 people and it’s always amusing to see how well the clarity holds up even after extreme use. Visitors always express how clear the water is and ask if it’s a salt pool or what size filter we have.

I’m aiming for water temp to be around 85° on Sunday. It costs us almost nothing once it hits the desired temps so we just let it go. Unfortunately we’ve got a DE filter though so it clogs up frequently causing the heat pump to turn off early.

Well today was the day, amd I'm sad to report I couldn’t see the bottom. All these stinking shiny things all over the place. :(
CC23B491-CDF5-4EB2-AFAC-8EB5961D2164.jpg

Had the family over and the kids enjoyed the 87° water while I slaved over a makeshift grill. Stupid me never planned how we were grilling for 50 people as our main grill has the bottom rusted out of it. Ended up starting a bon fire and finding some old chicken wire to cook on. Lost a few burgers to the fire but ended up working alright. :) Joy of my day came when I took a break and sat by the pool as 5 baby’s under the age of 3 all swam with their parents in the shallow end while the “bigger kids” splashed in the deep end.
C5E54774-1483-40AC-9E4E-3687CD03E421.jpg

As I’ve said countless times, thank you all from my entire family. I won’t lie when I say just over 5 years ago I knew NOTHING about pools. Today the family all enjoyed the heck out of the knowledge TFP has taught me.

Lee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.