First time having a pool

Caylif

Apr 4, 2018
Van Texas
Hello, I have never owned a pool and this weekend I am going to start installing the one in my signature. Can anyone answer a few questions?

1. Is it necessary to compact the soil with a plate compacter?
2. Can anyone send me a link or just list the steps I need to take after filling it up with water?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! :wave: For your questions:
1. Is it necessary to compact the soil with a plate compacter?
Necessary, perhaps not, but certainly ideal. For a good pool, it's ALL about the base. Not sure about your area, but around S.A. we have tons of weeds and roots that grow through just about anything. Often times pool owners will cut a thin layer of soil, spray an algaecide, then cover with a protective base material like Gorilla Pad, insulation, or something of the sort. Remember to always cut down (not fill) if there are areas that are not level.
2. Can anyone send me a link or just list the steps I need to take after filling it up with water?
This is your very basic sequence, post back with full test results for more help:
- Add stabilizer via the sock-soaking method; use the Poolmath calculator for a starting CYA goal - a CYA of 40 should be a good start this time of year.
- Add regular bleach for a starting FC of 2-3 ppm. Once the stabilizer is in the water, increase the FC level to about 5-6.
- Check pH and keep it between 7.4-7.7; if it goes over 7.8, knock it down with muriatic acid.

As for the SWG, once you have it installed and ready to use, you'll do the following to convert:
- Add the required amount of salt and let it dissolve and mix well
- Increase the CYA to 70
- Set SWG % to about 50-70% and monitor the FC output; test FC 2-3 times a day to ensure the pump/SWG are producing FC as required.
- Maintain the proper FC/CYA level as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below)

With the proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C) post a full set of results and we'll help you from there.

Hope that helps.

Is this not a good idea?
Perfect. Everything above still applies (start with small amount of bleach for FC of 2-3, adjust pH, etc) but for CYA go directly to 70. Keep some bleach handy though while you wait for the salt to dissolve and for the SWG to get dialed-in. But yes, go for it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.