Wife says we need to drain and start over

Thank you all for the epic help with our pool this year!! I appreciate the time you have taken to help us out!
I’m slamming the pool now. I finally have the right amount of CYA and the FC level is where it should be. Also, I now understand the accronmys and feel like I’m part of a super cool pool club!
I recalculated the pool size when someone mentioned it didn’t look 40,000 gallons. They were right. It’s 30,000. Thanks for that! I don’t have to buy as much stuff now.
Here are some pics of the progesss.
I bought a leaf gulper thing. It worked ok. The plastic pin fell out at the end of the first day. I made a new one. Then the bag fell off in the deep end and I can’t find it yet!
Our tortoise “thomas” thought the leaf gulper was a cute female tortoise. He was disappointed as you can see in the pic. I was able to get a massive amount of leaves out of the pool tho!
Enjoy the pics!
My wife wanted me to include our Sphynx cat who enjoys laying by the pool!40EEF3A0-0039-4863-BD00-42487603D48F.jpg00759C09-B4D7-4DD9-8549-5BFAF442DE10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. I exceeded the quota for pics :)

I keep my cya at 40. Works great for my little above ground. We dont get very intense sun here in alberta so 40 cya seems to be a perfect amount for me. I did try 30 and i did add a considerable amount of bleach compared to 40. I ran a commercial pool and tub along with my above ground using the tfp method and it worked great. Listen to these boys. They know what they are doing! Good luck :)

So, the SLAM has been going on for a little over a week. Countless jugs of 12% from menards have gone in. My cya is at 40 and the fc stays around 16. I have used the leaf sucker thing I bought and have vacuumed to waste. The water is still really cloudy. I can’t see the bottom of the shallow end. Can I add some DE to the sand filer to help out??

Sand filters take awhile to filter the dead algae from the pool.

I just put all new Sand in the filter two weeks ago.
The water IS looking better. It’s just not where I thought it would be.
I can see the third step down in the shallow end but not the actual bottom.

Does your pool have good circulation? (are the water returns (the water going INTO the pool) pointed away from the filter inlets?)

You might look into something like the pooldevil, we got one and love it for "automatic" summer skimming (we have a skimmer to, but it doesn't collect as quickly as the pooldevil =) when the leaves are falling heavily)

Also we have a leaf NET "cover" and love it! In Ground pool leaf nets, Bargain Pool Supplies

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the pool is looking better! The FC is still at 15 with an overnight drop around one. I added salt and turned on the ic40 after about 5 minutes the cell light started blinking indicating that the cell” needs attention”. I did the acid cleaning twice and the cell light still blinks after 5 minutes. Could it be that since the FC level is so high it’s causing the light to flash??
Thanks again for the help.

The “cell” light is flashing. When it’s producing chlorine the cell light is on. Right next to the light it says “ inspect cell if flashing”.

When I hold down the more button it shows that it still has 60% life left.

You should wait 24 hours after adding salt to turn on SWG, to give salt time to dissolve.

That is a lot of cleaning... is it getting crusted over?

How old is the SWCG?

If a slug of very high salt content water went through the cell when it was on, it may be damaged.

I assume the 'salt' and 'flow' lights are green?

Never heard of a re calibration for an Intellichlor.

Warranty? If it was installed by a professional with other Pentair items you should have a three year warranty.

I will ask another Pentair person to chime in.

as,

The original version of the Intellichlor could be calibrated, but that has not been the case for 8 years, maybe more... Your 2 year old cell cannot be calibrated.

Every time you clean a cell with MA, you reduce its lifespan a little... Assuming your cell is clean in between the plates, then a flashing cell light usually means the cell is bad. :(

Just to make sure we are on the same page... As you pointed out, the cell light turns on when the cell is making chlorine and is off when the cell is resting.. about every five minutes or so... I assume your cell light is actually flashing... like a stop light does???

If the cell is only two years old, it might still be under warranty.. I would check with your PB or Pentair.

When the pump is running and the cell is on, if you have a green salt level light, a green flow light and some of the output lights on, then there is little else you can do to make the cell work...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.