Pump/Filter Equipment Upgrades

Yinger

Apr 25, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi folks...frequent lurker, first time caller.

We're doing some rehab work around the pool this year, namely replacing the vinyl liner and changing the decking from wood to concrete. I've been considering changing to a 2-speed or VS pump for a couple years and figures I might as well pull the trigger this year. Electric company is currently offering a $200 rebate on VS pumps. In any case, I've been reading into these things and think I am getting a little in over my head (information overload if you will). Looking for a little guidance from the experts.

A little about my pool:
  • I bought the house in 2013, pool was installed by previous owner in ~1984/85. I have not done any major changes/upgrades outside of typical preventative maintenance items.
  • 14'X24' in-ground, ~12,000 gallons
  • 1 skimmer, 1 return, no main drain
  • all 1-1/2" piping
  • single speed 1HP Hayward Super Pump (SP2607X10 if I am correct) on an Intermatic timer. Currently wired 110V.
  • Hayward Perflex EC40 DE Filter
  • Hayward gas heater (150k BTU H-Series Millivolt) - only used when I open to pool to bring temperature up; use a solar cover the rest of the time.

If I've calculated things correctly, I have about 25-30 feet of head in my pipe run to the pump (I may have miscalculated this so please chime in if it seems off). Based on my current equipment setup, I can't help but feel like my pump is a little over-sized for the filter? I'm not against changing the filter as well if that seems necessary.

I'm looking at the Super Pump VS (https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/res-pumps/super-pump-vs-sp26115vsp), mainly to minimize the amount of plumbing I have to rework...I was considering just doing a motor swap, but would also consider a whole wet/dry changeout if the price is right. Anyhow, looking for a little insight from you guys if I'm on the right track here.

Y,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your Equipment upgrade questions, whether you are just a "lurker" or not... :p

One great thing about a VS pump is, it can't be too big as you just use whatever HP you need.... The one bad thing about VS pumps is that they have a lot of electronics that single or dual speed pumps do not have. Just more chances of things going bad...

I believe that either a 1 HP 2-speed pump, or the VS pump that you listed above, would work just fine in your pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.