Muriatic Acid

Nov 9, 2015
Lawrence, KS
So my local Home Depot quit selling pool supplies. I used to get my Muriatic Acid from there and it was specifically labeled for "swimming pool". Since they did not have any, I bought Muriatic Acid from the paint aisle as the guy told me it was the same thing. Is it the same thing and is it safe to use in the pool?

d,

It is safe to use but my only be half strength... The real stuff is something like 31% while the MA sold in the paint isle is often only 15%....

Either will work, you just have to use twice as much 15% to do what the stronger MA does.

I suspect it is a regional thing, but I like the MA sold by Lowes down here in Texas better than Home Depot's MA...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Depending on the market the paint isle may have one or both strengths, 31.5% or 15.5%. The 15.5 is usually sold as "Green" or "low fume". On line the current one being sold at Home Depot says:
Klean-Strip Green are products that are better for the environment. They are quality products but have a reduced impact on the world in which we live. Klean-Strip Green Muriatic Acid has 90% lower fumes than standard muriatic acid. It's also easy to use and store.

It's lower fume or has less impact because is diluted to generally half strength. When you are trying to lower pH you want all the impact you can get. Plus, both bottles are about the same price so the half strength ends up costing twice as much.

In most cases the half strength has a green label and the full strength has a blue label.

Last time I checked... Home Depot:
dbtgallery.php

and Lowe's
dbtgallery.php

MA is one of the few things I will get at the pool store. I get a good price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.