New build (Vinyl liner) salt or no salt???

Apr 5, 2018
il
Hello, we live in northern Illinois and just signed a contract for a 16 x 38’ rectangular vinyl liner inground pool. We met with several builders and most seemed to discourage the SWG citing fears of corrosion with the steel walls and auto cover metal tracks. The pool builder we ended up going with is the only one who said it’s no problem because he bonds the metal and will show us the proper salinity, etc... it’s only a 700$ up change and I like the whole concept of it but the corrosion scares the heck out of me.

Any comments would be appreciated.

There are thousands of metal walled vinyl liner pools represented here and we almost never have reports of the swcg causing any corrosion issues. If you want the convenience of a swcg, I wouldn't let the scare tactics of a few PB's bother me.

My stabilizer rails corroded, and I'm currently trying to find a replacement for them. The rest of pool is resin which I should be ok. I'm not the original owner of the above ground pool, but it's at least 5-7 years old. I asked this question awhile back, and I just got the reply that it was probably a cheap metal and that's why it corroded. I'm not sure. Salt does corrode metals faster.

I'll probably go back to a salt pool once I replace them, if I can. Salt pool was a lot easier to maintain, and the water felt better. I would just monitor the rails, and keep an eye on it every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.