Does SWG generation rate depend on FC level?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
Does the chlorine generation rate depend on existing FC level? I.e. is chlorine generation in equilibrium with chlorine levels? Or does chlorine get generated at certain rate independant of Fc level?

eg assume FC is zero and SWG return water is 5ppm. If FC was 10, would return water be 15ppm, or a lower number?

You're going to be constantly burning off FC regardless if it starts off at 5, 10 or 50! Your SWG should be run at high enough percentage rate and length of time to correct for the daily loss.

Tom,

SWCG's are dumber than a box of rocks!!!.. They do not have a brain.. That is where you come in.. You are the SWCG's brain. It is up to you to test your pool water and then adjust the output percentage and/or run time so that the SWCG generates the FC you are looking for..

This is a little hard to do on a daily basis, because pools use more or less FC depending on the weather and how much the pool is used. But after a couple of weeks you will get the "feel" for how much FC is being used... I usually run my FC a little high just so that I don't have to obsess over maintaining an exact FC number..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

The key is never, ever, allowing your FC to fall below the minimum...

Jim, thanks. I understand I need to throttle it to suit. That's what I'm trying to get my head around now. I'm trying to understand my chlorine decay rates, and my generation rate at various settings.

I was curious if generation rate diminished as FC levels rise, e.g. does the generation rate start to hit a wall as FC rises, but Tim clarified above that's not the case.

My FC is currently ~14 (recently did a SLAM). I just tested the return water at various SWG settings and it ranges from 14ppm (0% SWG) to 18ppm (SWG 100%).

FC levels don't affect the amount of chlorine generated.

The amount of salt in the water and the water temperature have some effect on the amount generated, but for practical purposes, the amount generated is pretty consistent.

Tom,

The "throttle" is not really a throttle... it just sets how long the SWCG runs per hour.. So at 100% the cells runs for a whole hour.. At 50% the cell only runs for 30 minutes. Each brand has slightly different times, but over a 24 hour period it works out to be the same basic percentage..

Jim R.

Mine seems like a throttle? There’s a dial, and an 8 LED power scale. As you turn up the dial the scale increases and the gas coming from the cell thickens.

Are you saying thats actually some sort of pulse modulation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
a very rough guide is fc will burn off around 30 percent or 3ppm which ever is the higher
very dependant on cya lvels and bather loads and exposure to sunlight
your throttle is more of an analog vs digital adjustment
each led is probably 12 percent so 4 leds would approximate 50 percent on a digital readout
what a vague post i have written but hope it helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.