Pump loses pressure over time

Hi guys. I have a simple EZ vac/kreepy krauly deals that I inherited from prior owners. I am currently in the process of shocking due to opening up to algae. What I'm noticing is that I start up the pump and you can immediately hear the strong "clicking" associated with these types of vacs that makes it move around the pool. Over about a half hour, the clicking gets softer and softer and eventually you can't hear it anymore. You can see that the hose is moving ever so slightly, and the flow out of the return jet slows down over time. Using the vac pressure valve, it doesn't even move the needle any longer. I clean my cartridge filter every day (which is new as of last year) and is as white as it can be. Do you think I have a pump side/filter problem? Or any suggestions on what I can check?

I'm already slamming due to algae upon opening my pool. I always see air at the top of my pump basket. I can see the water churning. Just so I understand, under optimal conditions there should be no visible air at all in the basket?

And it doesn't make a difference with or without the vacuum, I always seem to see the same amount of air in the basket. I read through the suction side leak thread in pool school. Disconnected all the suction side plumbing, I'm hard PVC runs, and relubed with silicon, checked for leaks ets. I also tried cleaning any debris out of the pump with a coat hanger, but didn't really get anything out. The only thing I can think of is the basket lid. I just bought this one last year, but what the heck I'll run down to Leslie's and see if I can get one. The lid seems snug, but I'm wondering if over time that lid just doesn't fit as snug due to wear? What's the lifespan on a pump / cartridge filter combo?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for any advice you can give!

under optimal conditions there should be no visible air at all in the basket?
That's correct.

Don't over tighten the lid....common mistake.

Pump running, slowly pour water over the lid and see if air in pump basket is diminished or stopped. The lid is the most common source for a suction side leak.

So I'm no sure what else I can check. I went ahead and bought a new skimmer pump basket, since it was only 10 dollars more than the lid alone. Got that replaced, and it did seem like less air, but still air inside. I've run the water hose test at each junction and the lid according to this great video. Nothing seems to remove the air. I even took the pump apart to see if there is any debris or damage to the fan blades inside and everything looked fine. Not a single blade of grass inside. I'm almost at the point of replacing the pump since it's at least 5 years old, but not sure it will do any good . Any other suggestions?

Find an air leak in your swimming pool. - YouTube

Water level is actually too high right now, got slammed with a week of rain. I'm at the top of basket right now.

I did the running water test at the drain valve, and it made no difference. It is brand new, but I can try putting some tape on to see if it makes a difference. I have been reading up that maybe I have too much vacuum which is causing the air buildup, pump starved for water? I inherited this pool, and it has a 1.5 HP motor (70 gpm) attached to Hayward CC1000 filter, I thought the pump was really high for what I've been reading. My pool is 17k gallons, 27 ft round, 4 ft high. I do have an elbow from skimmer to pump, which I also read could be bad.

https://i.imgur.com/51tWgkz.jpg

Can you post test results?

What does your water look like?

You do not have "too much vacuum" if I understand what you are saying.

What is your current psi? What is the psi after you clean the cartridge?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sadly my psi gauge has succumbed to the water again and is stuck. I have an oil filled one from tftestkits on the way though! Water is not quite crystal clear yet, can see the bottom which is improvement. I'm not losing chlorine but staying at slam level for a few more days. Currently am cleaning filter each day just spraying with hose. I read that info about the too much vacuum on a TFP thread, albeit several years old, Is air in pump basket while running normal?.

CYA 60 (a little low with all the rain I have SWG)
TA 110
FC 25 (still slamming)
salt 3000
ph 7.2

Replacing the pump is not relevant to your issue.....finding the source of the air leak is what you need to do. It sounds like you may have more than one issue but getting in that pressure gauge will really help.

For now, I don't know what else to suggest. Air is getting into your system somewhere from the pump basket to the skimmer and you must find it to get the system operating normally. Let us know when that gets to you and we'll go from there. Meanwhile, continue your SLAM.

Thanks Dave. As an fyi, I just disconnected everything suction side, just 2 junctions, 1 at pump 1 at skimmer. I re-taped everything, and tightened up. Also removed the drain plug and taped it up as well. Only thing left I know to do is to just slap a flex hose on there to rule out the PVC glued junctions.

with Above Ground, it's "OK" to have some air in the basket. What's your take on that?
Nope. an air tight system pumps only water......exactly what you want it to do. If there is a suction leak, you are then pumping air and losing efficiency. An air bubble or two continually passing through the pump basket is no big deal but it sounds like you are sloshing water so that needs to be fixed.

Ya' know, this issue is primarily an IG pool issue and not a problem with AG's. When you shut off the pump, do you see any slight water leak anywhere on the suction side?

Not that I can see. I've left it alone for most of the day, and the air bubble is smaller, but still there, say covering half the lid maybe. Not really sloshing anymore. When I hook up my vacuum pressure tester that came with the pentair ezvac kreepy krauly to a length of 1 vacuum hose, it barely moves the marker and doesn't get past the minimum level, and that's just 1 length of hose under water.

I was reading the manual for the Hayward sp1515 pump and it clearly says to use reinforced hose only for the suction side, so I'm going to try that I guess. Might just pick up an elcheapo gauge to use until my oil filled comes in as well so I'm not flying blind.

For pump outlet use 1-1/2" PVC pipe or reinforced hose. For pump suction on ALL models, use 1-1/2" reinforced
hose. Increase size if a long run is needed.

So I picked up a gauge to use until I get my oil gauge, cleaned filter, etc. I'm showing 13 psi. However the gauge stops at 2-3 when off, so could be a little off. Seems high? Also I still don't get a good reading on the pentair vac checker so I have no idea if I'm really getting the suction I should be. How can I confirm that?

Going to swap out my suction side pvc tomorrow with a standard hose to see if it makes a difference. I'm just at a loss...

Welp I just changed out suction side with a 1 piece flex hose, still not getting good suction. Vac barely moves at all. Guess I'm down to replacing the pump seeing as how there isn't anything else to replace.

I just wish there was some way to check if the pump is working properly just by itself ruling everything else out.

Just wanted to reply in case anyone runs over this thread. Since my issue with low flow/air in basket starts out with no issue after a freshly cleaned filter, I started to look at the return side of my setup.

I got the idea from a pool repair shop to try running the system without a filter, I have been running over 24 hours and flow is as strong as when I started. So, I started looking into my filter system and I was amazed to find out I had the wrong filter size in my system! Turns out the people we bought house from evidently bought the wrong filter and everytime we replaced, we would just buy what was in it. So I have a new larger filter on the way. 175 sqft instead of 150, and will see what that does when installed.

Long story short, return side can cause air in the basket, it's not necessarily always a leak!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.