water temp question

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Around my area I think winter has finally fizzled out, PhakePhonyPhil, that fat Raccoon was right. I have some other projects that I need to get done before reconnecting the pump and filter and opening pool.I do have a thermometer in the pool, one of those Walmart ones on a string but I cant believe they are real accurate, day time highs around 60-65, night time around 40's predicted. thermometer Currently shows 55 deg. during the day.
Any ideas on how much time I would have before I need to worry about water temp not getting to the 60 range? Also, I don't always run heater so I go by the floating gauge. Is there a thermometer that's better than another or is my current one as good as it gets?

I've been using a 10 dollar flat blue thermometer hung over the side for years. It's close enough. Worst oen I tried was one of those floating duck/whale/penguin ones with a tiny thermometer. You should be within a couple degrees either way.

I assume your concern about the 60 degree temp is not wanting an algae bloom.
If so be on your guard because things happen fast in the spring and it is easy to get way behind and complicate your life.
Think of weeds in your yard, one day nothing then it seems the next day an infestation.
Algae is all around and is introduced to your water every day. If the conditions are right
biology is amazing in its ability to reproduce and the 60 degree water temp number is not precise enough
to rely on. Depth of test, daily fluctuation, instrument resolution, human inattention and the ability of biology to
push the boundaries we humans set are all involved.

Stay on your guard during the spring, a little prevention goes a long way so start early because it's later than you think.

I was about a month later than usual adding first chlorine of the year.
The day before I added chlorine I noticed my pool started looking just a slight bit green by the time my water reached 50 degrees.
I didn't think that was possible, but it is.

A very thin film of green residue had developed on the the vinyl surface.
I slammed/brushed and it went away quick. 3 days later the slam was done.

From now on I will ALWAYS no matter what, add the bleach March 1st instead of April 1st.
Even if water temp is well under 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.