North Texas Budget Build

Jul 19, 2017
mckinney tx
Hello! Longish time listener, first time caller. I wanted to share our build plans, as I've found it extremely helpful to read other peoples' builds and get some price-points from time to time as well. We signed the contract last week, and are pretty excited to get the ball rolling after many back and forths of whether to move or "water the grass where we live". We began with a $45k budget, knowing we could expand to our "real" budget of $50k. We landed at $55k, and are pretty happy considering how quickly I've seen some builds add up. We live in a neighborhood that doesn't have many pools and aren't super high-dollar homes, so we wanted to keep it relatively tame while making a quality space.

Here is a video of the basic design of the build : Dropbox - Geiser - design 2_StoryBoard_01_001.mp4

As you can see, we don't have a ton of space, but are hoping to get a decent size pool built and leave a little grass for the kids and dogs. Not a ton of decking, but we like our grass and believe most of our time not swimming but outside to be spent on our existing covered patio or on the tanning ledge. We spoke with 3 builders, crossed one off pretty quickly, and came down between two. Ultimately we made our decision with the spec list below (apologies if hard to read, it is C&P'd over). They are not a big company from what I can tell but have been around ~10 years and have amazing reviews.

Thanks for looking, hoping over the next 2-3 months to share good news and pics.

Pool Measurements Length: 29'2" Width: 18'9"
Pool Sq Ft: 441 Perimeter: 83 Depth: 3'6" to 6'

Base Pool : Excavation, 3/8" steel on 8" centers + 4x8" floor transitions + 1/2" steel x 4 bars in the
beam, 12x12" gunite beam + 8-10" walls / floor, 2 Skimmers, 5 returns, 2 drains,
incandescent light, fill line, overflow line, Jandy VersaPlumb energy efficient equipment
package with freeze guard, waterline tile, flagstone or precast
coping, maintenance package with training

Plans and preparation
Electric approval and permitting fees

Pool Structure
3 Pool perimeter over 80'

Excavation
2 Mini excavator with dirt shuttled to dump trucks (access not great into our backyard)

Plumbing
1 P-Trap installed
113 Backwash line footage
38 Additional plumbing required: 2.5" PVC for spa spill over

Base pool equipment package includes a solid gunite foundation with
VersaPlumb 340 cartridge filter
Stealth or FloPro pump
Polaris 280 cleaner
time clock with freeze guard

Equipment
1 Upsize filter to VersaPlumb efficient 460
1 Upgrade pump to Jandy energy efficient variable speed ePump
1 Jandy Salt system
1 RS4 controller with phone app connection
1 Actuators for spa spill over mode

Electric
15 Pool light cord conduit

Decking
1 Sidewalk re-build after access. Credited back if not needed
1 Concrete pump (needed when concrete trucks cannot back to pool)
1 Mastic, deck matched skimmer & drain covers, drain extension
405 Spray texture over concrete footage
30 4" Drain pipe footage
22 Notch concrete for stone inlay / Deck pad forming

Plaster
Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen in standard color category

Pool Configuration
1.0 Each 6' section of underwater bench
1.0 50 SF Ledge (currently 18" deep - we thought deep enough for very young kids to be able to splash but shallow enough to sit and enjoy. Is this a good depth, any thoughts?)

Spa & Heater
1 Base spa: 40 SF, 6 jets, 2 circulation drains, 30' from EQ
1 1.5 HP air blower with 30' of plumbing
15 Additional plumbing for blower
1 Jandy JXI 400,000 BTU heater
1 Spa raised 18" w/ standard block stone or flagstone outside walls
86 1.5" Gas line footage
15 Additional plumbing distance between spa and equipment
1 Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen in standard color category

$55,413

Attachments

• Geiser - design 12d_001.jpg
    Geiser - design 12d_001.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
Well it looks pretty darn nice if you ask me!

I do question the puck chlorinator and wonder if you considered a SWG instead? Far easier to manage since you won't be building up excess cya from those pucks and possibly needing to drain and refill at times to lower it.

Maddie :flower:

Well it looks pretty darn nice if you ask me!

I do question the puck chlorinator and wonder if you considered a SWG instead? Far easier to manage since you won't be building up excess cya from those pucks and possibly needing to drain and refill at times to lower it.

Maddie :flower:

I probably should have just deleted out the stuff that I upgraded, but the puck chlorinator is part of the 'base pool' package, but throughout, the upgrades are listed. It actually is a salt-water - that was a dealbreaker for the wife, plus our kids have sensitive skin and always seem to have better luck in SW pools. We also did the variable speed pump and bigger filter, per the suggestions made here.

Thank you!

Can you state which pool builder you went with and what DFW suburb you are in?

We're in McKinney. I would prefer not to share PB name since I've outlined quite a bit of their pricing here to help people who were like me, wondering what kind of pricing was available but having a hard time finding any real numbers. If you look around you'll see all kinds of pools in the 65-75k+ range but it's also possible to get a well-equipped pool for less than this from a reputable builder. This assumes everything goes to plan and there are no major changes.

WetSteve --- absolutely struggled with this for a bit, but we aren't too concerned. I'm sure we'll eat those words, but since we weren't springing for any water features, wanted the spa overflow to face the patio. Should hopefully sound and look nicer from the inside of the house and patio.

Dock Ellis - we are loving it in McKinney; we plan on staying here until our youngest is out of High School (at least), so another 7 years or so. Long enough to be worth it! I just looked at your build as well, nice try keeping to a budget, lol, hoping our bottom line doesn't change much! I think the unknown soil composition (clay / rock) is my biggest concern, but my pool overall is not super big or deep, so fingers crossed there.

Great design neighbor. I suspect we may be using the same PB because the wording of your contract is basically identical to ours (we are at the gunite cure stage). So far we have been super happy with them. Only tiny bump has been communication with the scheduling lady. (Probably because we are so eager for each step and she's dealing with lots of eager people at the same time.) If that's the only challenge we have, we will be thrilled.

Oh I like this! I like the spa being here it for the very reasons you state!

The only thing I want to point out is the light placement. It will be right in the "swim lane". So if swimming laps at night you will be swimming right into it. If anyone does a flip turn they might be pushing off of the light. I would shift it so it is between where it is now and the spa bench. I would also think about putting one by the shelf by the steps going down to the pool.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adam can you PLEASE share your PB with me? Maybe in a private message? We are in McKinney as well and getting bids. Our dimensions are similar to yours, SWG, and will need a mini excavator due to poor access. We have a couple of sheer decent water falls but thats it. We have 3 quotes ranging from $82-90K! I would love to know who you are using because we don't feel like we have a lot of upgrades. Thanks!

Adam can you PLEASE share your PB with me? Maybe in a private message? We are in McKinney as well and getting bids. Our dimensions are similar to yours, SWG, and will need a mini excavator due to poor access. We have a couple of sheer decent water falls but thats it. We have 3 quotes ranging from $82-90K! I would love to know who you are using because we don't feel like we have a lot of upgrades. Thanks!

You can do it by PM if you would like. We try to not name PB on the open board until the build is done and all has gone well. THANKS!

Quick update on where we are with this build...
We submitted permit info on 4/28, and had the permit on 6/01.
Hole was dug on 6/5
Steel/Rebar done on 6/7
Stub plumbing on 6/11
First inspection passed on 6/13, and waiting for gunite now... fingers crossed no rain the next few days while we wait for them.

Things are coming along - we did go out and measure, and everything is impressively spot on (12-14" deeper than it should be, told this was for ~8" gunite, ~4-6" waterline below coping). Still seems really big, really hoping to be swimming by early August so the kids can enjoy a few weeks before school starts, I guess the weather will dictate whether that happens

DSCN2107.jpgDSCN2144.jpg

Have not posted much as it seems to be crawling along, but we have made some progress. Next we're waiting for long-plumb, which is supposed to happen early next week, which would definitely be nice...

On 6/25, gunite went in.

- - - Updated - - -

7/2, Tile, Coping, Spa stone

and the dogs, waiting more patiently than I...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.