drob

Apr 11, 2018
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have have noticed small patches on the floor. They are a brown/yellow in color. I am hoping to eliminate MA as the cause of these spots. Is it possible to have MA and pass an OCLT? Following are my last two test results.

Yesterday @ 7:00pm
FC 6.0
PH 7.7
Today @ 4:00pm
FC 5.5
CC .5
PH 7.4
TA 90
CH 275
CYA 50

Looks like mustard algae.

There are two types of mustard algae. One type is fairly common. It sticks to walls and floors. It's bright yellow and covers large areas.

The other type is rare. It it usually brown with some yellow. It looks and acts like sand. It doesn't stick to walls or floors. It mostly collects on the bottom.

It can seem similar to dead algae in how it acts, but the key difference is the color. Dead algae will be mostly white or gray with no color. Colors, like brown, yellow etc indicate live algae.

I think that you have the second type.

The rare type of mustard is very chlorine resistant and does not use up a lot of chlorine, especially when there is only small amounts of the algae. So, you can pass an overnight chlorine loss test.

To get rid of it, you do a full SLAM. Afterwards, I recommend maintaining the fc at 15% to 20% for a week and then 10 to 15% for two weeks.

The yellow is due to beta-carotene, which is an anti-oxidant. It helps protect the algae from oxidizers like chlorine.

Here is an example from another poster.

Spot forms daily?? What to do ??? W/ pics

I've had this before, it can be a vexing issue because you pass the OCLT and water remains TFP clear, but junk keeps showing up on the bottom.

I had the second type that James describes and it looked very much like your pictures and spent the bulk of that season chasing ghosts, thinking that it was simply sand or other debris that was bypassing the filter somehow because the chlorine consumption remains within the realm of normalcy so it is difficult determine if it is an organics or filtration issue. I was almost to the point of buying whole new filter just to rule that out.

Follow James' advice above, that's what I did to finally get rid of it. The only other thing I would add is to diligently brush, brush, brush even more than SLAM process suggests. Make sure you brush the usual hiding places as well, ladders, light niches, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I have the same issue! I've been battling this thing for a year. I thought it was the sand filter for a long time. Let me know if you were able to remove it! I'm going to try this weekend now that I got the TF-100 kit. I'm trying to get better pictures, but here's my thread. Does your pool get worst when you run the pump?

Mustard Algae or Pollen

Started slam Wednesday night, no drop in FC overnight. Thursday was a bright sunny day, that resulted in usual FC drop. This morning’s test showed a drop of 2ppm in FC over night. Hopefully, this is a sign that I finally have this stuff on the run.

Question for the experts this: Why has no one suggested an anti-algae product in addition to the extended SLAM? Given it is chlorine resistant, if any time they should be used would it not be on this problem?

I cared for my pool poorly last year by TFP standards, but I instantly solved a yellow algae problem last May with a Pool-RX capsule in the pump filter basket. It never came back and was still gone when I drained in January. My copper levels did not go crazy either--at least as tested by Leslie's.

I was not able to keep consistent slam level during the week. So, I extended the slam until today. I am home tomorrow, so tonight I will raise to mustard slam level and be able to hold that for 24 hours.

I have seen a daily decrease in the spots and the color is gray instead of yellow/brown. After tomorrow, I intend on holding higher FC levels as JamesW has suggested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.