PB Selection and build

Fatjack

Bronze Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Tampa fl
So we decided to get a pool this year, I wanted to talk about some of the steps we took when selecting a PB hopefully helping a few of you folks out.

I contacted 6 builders all found though the BBB and Angie’s List.

2 never called back
4 came to the residence to measure and it was interesting to see how different each of them performed the task. Only one used actual elevation equipment (Zip Level) to determine the elevations at the back of the yard. One used a laser level and a tape measure with the other two eye balling it.

One of the builders (laser level guy) never provided a quote and didn’t return my calls crazy since he spent over an hour at the house. That left 3 quotes and they were for the most part pretty close cost wise.

I live in Hillsborough County and used the online permitting system to determine what the build times were for each builder. These were the steps I followed. Used the County Clerk’s office to search for Notice of Commencement then used the site address to find the permit on Hillsborough County’s permitting system then reviewed the inspections to establish a timeline.

I used this information along with the number of pools they build each year to help select our PB, while doing the research one of the PBs only built one pool last year and the one with the worst build time was 7 months.

We selected the PB that used what I think is called a zip level. They had the quickest build time of everything and a realistic number of builds each year.

Ill update the thread as the process moves along.

2018-04-19_13-32-52.jpg

Last edited:
Hey FatJack - We just had our pool built in Tampa. PM me if you have any questions about our builder, etc. Our PB didn't bring out the elevation measuring device until a few days after we signed the contract and they were preparing the plans for permit submission.

Pretty good idea about using the clerk's office for average time to build - ours took longer to build than the estimate - but even longer to close the permit because we had several post-pool items to finish before landscaping and, apparently, they couldn't get the final inspection until all of the "dirt" was covered in some way. Our final inspection came 5 weeks after the pool was filled. ;)

Rebar is done and if you can believe it the County inspector was out on day two to approve the Steel and Plumbing Rough-In / Main Drain. I hope they keep up the pace. PB is Patio Pools price wise they were on par with the others, but the responsiveness of the company was amazing. They did brag about how good there completion times are.

Once Day 2 Videos are encoded ill post a link.

20180605_161416.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WHAT???? They had and used the plans AND measuring tape???????? IN for the WIN!

Those are two hard working fellas! They look like they have done this before! So nice to see someone doing a good days work!

Kim:kim:

WHAT just happened??????/ NICE! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it. Try to 3 times a day in the beginning. You will now when you can cut back as it will not soak up the water as fast.

Guess what time it is!!! Time for YOUR set of links!!!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Ask you PB what test kit he will provide. Let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.