Total Dissolved Solids

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I received my TF-100 test kit and don’t see anything in there for TDS. Should I not be worried about it if all the other measurents are within spec?

i also don’t see anything on there for salt concentration. My IC40 says 3950-4100 but I know the accuracy is +\- 500 ppm. The ic40 recommends 3600 optimum level so I’ve been hoping to keep 200-400ppm over as per TFP. What’s downfall of having too much salt in pool?

B,

The IC40 will continue to work even with the high salt light on...

Within reason, it will not hurt anything, but I find that I can taste it a lot more when the salt is higher than about 3200...

You can ignore TDS and Phosphates... They are more Pool Store money makers than real issues...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

The IC40 can produce chlorine all the way up to 4500ppm and higher. You will get a HIGH SALT warning light at 4500ppm but the unit will still generate. There is absolutely no measurable downside to having a salt level that's a bit above "normal". I've been operating my IC40 SWG for over 4-1/4 years now and since about the end of year one my pool water salinity has been between 3800-4000ppm. It's never been a problem for my cell.

TDS is not really important to know since you already can measure all of the water components separately - CH, TA, salt, CYA, etc. In the old days before good test kits were widely available, TDS was used by pool stores and service techs as a proxy for how much chemical build up was in your water. But, because it's the sum of all possible solid components, it's kind of meaningless in terms of information - it's kind of like knowing the average salary for everyone that works in the State of Texas, it doesn't really tell you anything important. Also, with the widespread building of SWG pool, TDS is even less useful because the high salt levels in the water (3000-4000ppm) will make it the largest component of TDS, so again, there's really no meaningful information that can be gleaned from knowing that number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.