Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Can someone explain to me or point me to a post on how to spot treat stains with absorbic acid? I don't think my problem is big enough to warrant a total AA treatment. I just want to spot treat a few stains.

If the water is warm enough to get in, you could use one of those washing wands from the kitchen, where you can fill the handle with liquid. Fill it with two thirds AA and one third water and go to town on those spot stains manually. Just scrub the wand back and forth a few times on the spot so the AA will disperse from the handle and let it go to work.

If it's too cold, you may try putting a little AA in a tube sock, tie it off and maybe hang it on the end of your pool pole with a brush attached so it doesn't slide right off the end. Rub it back and forth and see what happens. You'll probably use a lot more AA doing it this way because the AA will surely start mixing with the water the second you start to submerge it under water.

Are we talking about some small rust spots, like a stray nail or paperclip or bobby pin set on the bottom? If so, just mash a bunch of Vitamin C tablets (I suppose you could use citric acid, but I have zero experience with it) and put it in an old sock or nylon with some clean river rocks for weight and tie the end shut. Then drop it in the pool and push it into position over the stains with your pool brush. Leave it sit for fifteen minutes or so.

Are we talking about some small rust spots, like a stray nail or paperclip or bobby pin set on the bottom? If so, just mash a bunch of Vitamin C tablets (I suppose you could use citric acid, but I have zero experience with it) and put it in an old sock or nylon with some clean river rocks for weight and tie the end shut. Then drop it in the pool and push it into position over the stains with your pool brush. Leave it sit for fifteen minutes or so.

It's about this thread -> spots appearing on the bottom

My plastered pool has four or five rather small (about 2-3 inches across) rust colored spots on the bottom. This pool was neglected for years before I owned it and I had a pool guy drain, clean, etch and refill it. I didn't watch the process. It's had those spots the 5 years since and they haven't changed. I had pretty-much given-up removing them and have been living with them. It's a shame considering the rest of the pool looks good. I now see this Out Spot device and the video for it and wonder if I should try it on these spots. My spots look very much like those in the video. What makes me concerned is that I would have thought those spots would have been dealt with when the pool was restored if they responded to acid treatment and maybe those spots are areas where plaster has been mostly etched away and further etching may enhance them rather than remove them.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, absorbic acid was mentioned instead of muriatic acid, is there some benefit of one over the other for stain removal under water?

Iron responds especially well to ascorbic acid, which is much milder on your surface. Copper responds better to muriatic acid, imho. If it’s iron, you can probably lift it with AA. Sometimes there’s iron that has combined with scale, in which case the MA helps because it dissolves the scale.

I got that spot treater thing in from Amazon yesterday and it looks like it is going to work great. I plan on trying it as soon as the friggin' winds die down here from hurricane to at least gale force. With low 40s temps it is really miserable to be standing out on the pool deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to close this out I treated several stains with the above spot clean tool and it worked really well. I had no idea the proportions so I just put like 2 tablespoons of absorbic acid in the cup and pre-mixed it with tap water. Then lowered it and let it sit on the spot for about 5 minutes and then used the tool to scrub the area. Got pretty much all the stain out you really have to look hard to see it was there. Most likely a 2nd treatment would remove it entirely. Sure beats diving down and scrubbing by hand!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.