Dolphin M Series vs S Series...Differences

I am shopping for a robotic cleaner, preferably the Dolphin line. I am between the S300 and S300i and the M400 and M500. Can anyone tell me what the main difference are? Has anyone on the forum purchased any of these and if so, why did you choose that model.

Thanks!

15k gallon pool
Pebble Sheen - Blue Surf
Hayward Saltwater Generator

Check out my signature for the link to my S300i thread. I bought mine last year and couldn’t be happier with it. My only regret is that they started putting the swivel cords on the 2018 models and that’s a big plus. You’ll love the full features of the S300i that comes with using the App. The App is a little wonky and could be improved but it’s functional enough.

For me the S300 turned out to be the sweet spot. I would have bought the S200 if I hadn’t wanted/needed the cart. The 200, 300, and 300i are all the same machine. Moving from the S200 to S300 (for about $100 -150) adds the cart and Bluetooth control as well as option to use a one or two hour cycle. Move to the 300i, ( for another $100-150) you get to choose run time in 1/2 hour increments, and a couple extra Bluetooth features. Since I wanted the cart, and it’s a $100 option by itself, the S300 was a no-brainer. I just couldn’t see the added value in the S300i.

In fact, it’s been explained that there is really no difference between S300 and 300i other that the number written on it. Maytronics just restricts access on the Bluetooth app based on the serial number of the unit. If it sees a 300, you get one set of features, a 300i, a different set. If true, I’ll be darned if I’ll pay $100 or more to remove a couple restrictions on a phone app. I’m not even sure I needed Bluetooth, but it was the first unit that came with the cart.

And yes, the new 2018 models have the swivel cords.

Fair enough. I like having access to all the features and would be annoyed seeing grayed out areas of the App. As it is, I wish I could download and use the diagnostic app that Dolphin has but that’s only accessible if you have a technician account :(

If I am not mistaken, in addition to getting the cart and bluetooth - the other difference between the S200 & S300 is the S300 adds the combined fine/coarse filter basket. On the S200 you have to buy the fine filter separately. The cart and combined filter are why I chose the S300 over the S200.

Only the S300i/Active 30i has the combined multi-layer filter and it also has an enhanced cleaning mode.
The coarse prefilter basket can be added to any of the models. Just order it separately. I have it in mine. And if I’m not mistaken, the “Enhanced” cleaning is just a longer run time, kind of like pressing the clean button twice.

I have the S300 and would have bought the S200 except I wanted a cart. The Bluetooth function is glitchy and (other than a lousy, lagging steering option) provides nothing that you can’t do directly from the control panel. Since you have to pretty much be standing right next to the control panel for the Bluetooth to connect, it’s pretty easy to reach over and press a button.
But if you have a need for the “top-of-the-line” with every whistle and buzzer built in, that is the S300i. I personally, just couldn’t justify the price difference.

I just purchased the Active 30i which is the same as S300i except for its looks. I like the Active 30i look better. I chose the Active30i/S300i as oppose to the Active 30/S300 because of the multi-lay filter and the additional enhanced cleaning mode. The big plus is that the 2018 models come with a swivel cord. I purchased one on Monday and when I received it today it 2017 or older no swivel cord. I called to complain to where I bought it and they contacted Maytronics andI will be getting a new 2018 model soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fair enough. I like having access to all the features and would be annoyed seeing grayed out areas of the App. As it is, I wish I could download and use the diagnostic app that Dolphin has but that’s only accessible if you have a technician account :(

Do you know what the extra Bluetooth features are other than what was mentioned about the half hour increments above?

Do you know what the extra Bluetooth features are other than what was mentioned about the half hour increments above?

I should take a screenshot next time I have the App running (App controls only run when the unit is powered up...kind of annoying but that's how they authenticate that you are a registered Dolphin owner). Here's what I remember from memory -

Cleaning Modes

1. Standard Clean
  2. Floor-Only
  3. Fast Mode
  4. Ultra Clean
  5. ??Something Else??

Cleaning Times

1. 1.5
  2. 2.0
  3. 2.5

Delay Start (in hours)

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 4
  4. 6

Weekly Timer - Weekly timer can be set to run any day or combination of days during the week with the same or different start times each day.

The App also has Manual Drive mode and all of the documentation. The S300i also allows you to change the color (blue (default), green or red) of the front LED. Not sure what use changing the LED color is but I guess they figured they'd throw that one in there.

I would say that, for what they charge, they could do a MUCH better job on the App. But, from what I understand, they haven't been in the App/Smartphone control business for very long so that's probably just something that will have to get better with time if they devote more resources to app development.

Only the S300i/Active 30i has the combined multi-layer filter and it also has an enhanced cleaning mode.

My S300 came with the combined multi-layer filter and it is clearly stated on the Dolphin Robot website:
S300 | Dolphin pool cleaning robot
"Add more convenience to your pool cleaning with this mid-level robot. Enjoy all the basic capabilities, along with advanced features such as multi-layer filtration."

You can also go here:
http://dolphin-s.com/s300.html#comparison

My S300 came with the combined multi-layer filter and it is clearly stated on the Dolphin Robot website:
S300 | Dolphin pool cleaning robot
"Add more convenience to your pool cleaning with this mid-level robot. Enjoy all the basic capabilities, along with advanced features such as multi-layer filtration."

You can also go here:
http://dolphin-s.com/s300.html#comparison

It looks like they change things since you bought it. S300 - Maytronics The problem is that there are too many Maytronics websites with conflicting information. The link that you provided says the s300i has a multi-layered filter but the s300 has fine and ultra fine filters.

Last edited:
I should take a screenshot next time I have the App running (App controls only run when the unit is powered up...kind of annoying but that's how they authenticate that you are a registered Dolphin owner). Here's what I remember from memory -

Cleaning Modes

1. Standard Clean
  2. Floor-Only
  3. Fast Mode
  4. Ultra Clean
  5. ??Something Else??

Cleaning Times

1. 1.5
  2. 2.0
  3. 2.5

Delay Start (in hours)

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 4
  4. 6

Weekly Timer - Weekly timer can be set to run any day or combination of days during the week with the same or different start times each day.

The App also has Manual Drive mode and all of the documentation. The S300i also allows you to change the color (blue (default), green or red) of the front LED. Not sure what use changing the LED color is but I guess they figured they'd throw that one in there.

I would say that, for what they charge, they could do a MUCH better job on the App. But, from what I understand, they haven't been in the App/Smartphone control business for very long so that's probably just something that will have to get better with time if they devote more resources to app development.

Thanks for the detailed response!

The info I got said the S200 came with one set of filters, the S300 with a set of both normal and ultra fine filters (which are interchangeable), and the S300i with the coarse filter basket and a set of ultra fine filters which can be used together to provide dual filtration.
All the filters are interchangeable between any model, since the machines are basically identical. I specifically ordered a coarse filter basket in place of the standard filter to allow me to use dual filtration in my S300.

It high-centers on my drain a few times per cleaning cycle but the never more than 60secs or so before it executed a thrust turn to right itself. I’d much rather have the advanced features of an S300i and deal with the robot getting stuck on the drain cover due for a few minutes per cleaning cycle then go with a higher end cleaner that costs more and has fewer features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.