Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Hi Chief and kjdiver,
I am almost jealous, I paid about $1300, for my A30i, so those prices for the A30i plus caddy and filter is worth it, especially if you get a swivel on the cord. Then to get a 4 year warranty is great. I have 2 yr warranty , and my course filter tore, will see if they cover it. The only reason not jealous is for 2 seasons it was worth the extra money, however If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the A20 and bought the course filter and paid about half of what I paid. But with the new prices and swivel and warranty I would buy A30i also. Good move on Maytronics to lower price of A30i and put on a swivel, a few more tweaks and I may buy a new one.

$110 a square foot is about what houses go for in Tucson. The land (and sometimes even a pool) is included, no additional cost.

Yeh Chief its unbelievable here. That US$110 is for bare land, no house, and for every square foot of bare dirt :)

You do get a paved road and most often a curb (make that a kerb), and they throw in the big sign saying how wonderful your life will be. If you wait til all the other houses are built, you might get half a fence, but while legal, it's considered a bit rude not to buy half the fence from your new neighbour.

If you want to add a house to it, then set aside around 18 months and US$80/90 per finished sq ft. It's ker ai zee here.

The other 3/4 of the population live outside Sydney metro, which is anything from better to way better but that's the reality here. And those prices are for 60 to 90 minute commute to the CBD. My daughter and son in law bought a non-brick fixer upper for $1.3M, although in the northern beaches region which is as high as the closer to city regions.

Prices in the US are all over the map. My daughter sold her little, 75 year old, 900 sq ft row house in San Francisco for right at $1 million US. Meanwhile, here in Tucson, you can buy yourself a very nice, relatively new, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 2800 square foot home (with a pool) for around $300,000 US.

But, enough off topic for one thread.

I just purchased the s300i through Marina, when I verified my warranty via Maytronics found out it was automatically extended for a third year. With using a visa, I should have 4 years of coverage. Pretty happy about that and my experience with Marina, had a tracking number within an hour of purchase.

Hi TFP:

Thanks to this thread (and Forum), I learned about the Dolphin s300 and called Marina about it. They think it'll be good for my typical rectangular pool that has a few steps that lead into the shallow end. My questions to TFP are:

- is there any true real world benefit to the s300i with the delayed start and it's enhanced remote Bluetooth? What is delayed start?
- I will use the cleaning robot on 110V. Is that ok?
- can I use the s300 to clean up the pool when I open it? There's a lot of debris and soot at the pool's bottom from the winter. Will it damage the robot?
- Does Marina have the best price on the s300?

Thank you all.

Delayed start simply means you can setup your desired routine (Floor-only for 2 hours or Standard Clean for 2.5 hours, etc) and then delay the start by 1, 2, 4 or 6 hours. Some people like to be around when the bot is running and so if you had to dash out and wanted it to start at a later time, that’s what you’d do. For most, delayed start is of limited use but I actually used it this morning as I got the bot in the pool but then set it to delay start so it would finish up when I got home from church.

Yes, the power supply plugs into a standard 120V/15A outlet. I assume you’re not saying your outlet has a specific under-voltage?

Yes you can use at opening but it may stop prematurely if it’s filter becomes full. The robot senses when it loses suction power and stops until the basket is cleared. Best to scoop as much heavy debris as possible if you’re able.

Prices always fluctuate. Marina’s so far is the best.

My Earl did a good job on spring cleanup. My pool was in good shape though. A smattering of leaves , miscellaneous debris and lots of dust-like dirt.
I ran him for three consecutive cycles without removing him and the basket was full but he was still running so hadn’t reached that point yet.
If you don’t have nails, porcupine quills or exploding paint bombs or the like I’d throw him in. But if you have more than moderate amounts of debris I’d hit it with a leaf rake first. I did have to take out the 2-3’ long blades of stiff ornamental grasses that had blown under the cover. Earl dislikes the taste of them.
A further note, I use the rough insert with fine cartridges. The pleated cartridges were a dark charcoal color from debris. [emoji7]

My pool is getting resurfaced with WetEdge pebble and I am planning on upgrading my cleaner from a suction side Hayward to a robot vacuum. My pool is about 15,000 g and is kidney shape. Would a M series be necessary at all or should I just get a S series?

S series would more than likely do the trick. I have a 16k gallon pool with a 7ft deep end and a freeform shape (two deep end swim outs and a sun shelf in the shallow end ). My S300i is more than capable of cleaning the pool in 2 hours (1-1/2 if I use Floor-Only Mode).

I personally feel that the M Series is overkill for all but the deepest or more complicated pool shakes (pools with submerged bar stools, etc).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any concerns with an S300i handling 45-degree angled pool walls? (Layout shown in my build thread, linked in signature.)

And thanks to all the good info in this thread, and the recommendation for Marina, I pulled the trigger on an S300i yesterday. In my experience so far, I'd recommend Marina. Margaret knew the models, had the best price I could find, and put up with my newbie questions. I just hope my pool shape doesn't cause the unit any issues.

Any cleaner is about 16" wide. Anytime it hits a wall that it isn't flush against, the brushes will not contact the wall either fully or at all. In a hard corner like that, it will probably find its way to one surface or the other on the way up. But no, no issues operationally. It will still climb to the top when it wants to per the the logic.

"I pulled the trigger on an S300i yesterday. In my experience so far, I'd recommend Marina. Margaret knew the models, had the best price I could find, and put up with my newbie questions. I just hope my pool shape doesn't cause the unit any issues.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on the new cleaner! I hear the 2018 Dolphins all have a swivel cord. Can you confirm once you get yours from Marina?

Finally coming to the end of my tether with my Pentair Racer pressure-side cleaner and ready to go robot (probably a S300). Before I drop the coin, how does it cope with square steps on an in-ground pool? My Racer has formed a lasting romance with my steps and will sit there grinding away for hours until I get out there and manually push them apart. 10 minutes later they are back together again. My steps have a sharper transition to the floor than the walls do; the Racer will climb the walls but not the steps. Can I expect the robot to be better?

No robot does steps or shelves well. Just brush them. The robot will be fine with the sharp corners. My suction cleaner never touched my steps or shelves. My S300i sometimes gets them. I just brush them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.