Need to buy a new pump, but which one

Pool Amateur

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Central, NJ
So I decided to buy a new pump but the big question, which one, my plan is to also buy a SWCG as well with this pump and in the future solar heat and/or heat pump or gas heater. My old pump is a single speed, 1 HP (with a 1.1 SF, I think) Hayward SP 2607X10 and the filter is a Hayward S244T, 300 lb sand filter. So I am leaning toward a variable speed pump. I spoke to a local store and they want to change the filter also, as with a larger variable speed pump, he thought my present sand filter is undersized to match the new pump. I have not figured out the head pressure of my system, so I cannot get the flow rate I need to limit the pump so as to not exceed my present filters capacity, but I do not think I need to run a larger variable speed pump at full power, in fact most of the time would run it at much lower speeds than 1 hp to save money, plus if I need more power in the future I would have it. On Hayward web site the owner’s manual for my filter lists the Max flow rate with 1.5” pipes to be 45 GPM, however this is confusing to me because the Manuel covers several different filters that range from 50 lbs of sand to 700 lbs of sand and later gives the 45 GPM with 1.5” pipe for all the filters, unless I am reading it incorrectly. I would think that the larger filters have higher max flow rates. In reading posts on TFP site I have found that mas985 said the S244T filter was 80 GPM Max and 75 GPM normal service (I believe but can’t find the post now to reread) , but would like to know where that is published by Hayward as all I could find was 45 GPM referenced above. I have read about the Pentair Intelliflo and it sounds really nice as flow rates can be chosen or RPM/HP and therefore do not have to worry about head pressure when using flow rates to set the pump. It is also adjustable from 300-3450 RPM, and it is my understanding that larger impellers are more efficient at pumping at lower HP. Also, does this pump have a built in timer and how many times per day can it be set to come on or off and change the RPM? However, the Pentair installed locally by authorized dealer is very expensive compared to buying online and installing yourself, but then the warranty is void or very short and from what I have read they have had some problems with their electrical controls and you have to spend $650 to replace the whole module, which is more than some pumps cost. I also looked at Inyopools PureLine Prime variable speed pool pumps the 1.65 hp model for $599 and the 2.7 hp model for $799. The problem I am having here is the 1.65 hp model does not have a timer and my timer is rusted and needs to be replaced, so it would mean buying a timer also, which is bringing the price closer to the higher hp model which I do not mind but the power rating in the specs say it is variable from ¾ hp to 2.7 hp. I think I may want to run at less than ¾ hp. It also says that speed is variable from 600 – 3450 RPMs. Would 600 RPMs really be ¾ hp, I thought it would be much less than that. I also think that you do not have the option to control the pump by setting flow rate, which appeals to me. Are there any other pumps I should be looking at? Is my logic above flawed?

pa,

I have three IntelliFlo pumps, so here are some random thoughts...

I suspect that your low end speed will be dictated by your plumbing and the SWCG that you buy. All three of mine have to run at about 1200 rpm to turn the SWCG's flow switch on. My guess is that your pool will require about the same rpm.. At that speed the pump uses 180 Watts of power and can be run 24/7 for less than $20 a month. I can't see you wanting or needing to run less than 1000 rpm.

Two of the pools have 1.5" plumbing and DE filters and work just fine. You can limit the priming speed, but because I run my pumps 24/7 it is not something that I have done. If I turned the pumps on/off daily I would.

The downside to "all" VS pumps is that they are controlled by electronics, which can be damaged by large power surges or lightning strikes. A surge protector located at the equipment pad is good insurance.

You don't have to buy your Pentair equipment from a local dealer, you just have to have it installed by a "Professional".. That is a pretty wide open window. All you need is a company receipt showing it was installed, so any pool guy or electrician can install the pump.

Depending on what kind of risk taker you are, you could just install the equipment yourself.. Over the past 30 years I have managed several different non-pool related repair shops.. One thing they all had in common was their low overall failure rates... Less than about 3% percent of there products ever came back for failures and when they did, about 90% of the failures happened during the first month or two.

I self installed two EasyTouch automation systems, including SWCGs and IntelliFlo pumps.. One has been running for five years and one for over four years... Other than a failed flow switch after about three years, they have both worked flawlessly.. To present both sides of the story... my neighbor took a direct lightning strike and I got what was left over.. I lost the main board in the EasyTouch. I turned in a warranty claim just so that I had documentation of the failure. To my surprise Pentair came out and replaced the mainboard, the SWCG power supply board and my ScreenLogic adapter at no charge.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the input Jimrahbe,
Does the Pentair Intelliflo have an on/off timer built into the unit? I think some models may and some may not trying to find a good list and what the differences are between models. but $20.00/month for 24/7 operation may not pay to get highest model. What does the 1200 RPM equate to in HP being used?
Thank you for info on warranty being installed by a "profesional". Here is where I got my info:
Pentair Product Warranties Give You Even More Peace Of Mind
[FONT=PSU_Standard]While the majority of Pentair products are covered by a sixty- (60) day warranty, a select number of products qualify for extended warranty coverage.[/FONT]

[FONT=PSU_Standard]Pentair offers a three- (3) year extended warranty on the following products when they are installed by a qualified installer and registered within sixty (60) days from the date of installation:[/FONT]

• Energy-saving IntelliFlo® and IntelliPro® Variable Speed Pumps (select models)
    • Three year warranty is only applicable to IntelliFlo® 2 VST and IntelliPro® 2 VST pumps purchased from a retail store (brick and mortar), pool builder or pool service company. IntelliFlo® 2 VST and IntelliPro® 2 VST Pumps purchased online (via internet) will only receive a sixty (60) day limited warranty.
  • SunTouch® Solar and SolarTouch® Control Systems
  • Select Bundled Products: applies to purchases and qualified installation of a minimum of a pump and filter, and one or more of the following: heaters, heat pumps, control systems, automatic cleaners, lighting, salt chlorine generators or UV sterilizer*
[FONT=PSU_Standard]* Note: Bundled products must be purchased on the same invoice and installed at the same time.[/FONT]

[FONT=PSU_Standard]If any product within a bundle is ineligible for the bundled warranty coverage then all products within the same bundle will be disqualified from receiving the three (3) year extended coverage for bundled products. [/FONT]

[FONT=PSU_Standard]2 Year Extended Warranties[/FONT]

[FONT=PSU_Standard]Pentair offers a two- (2) year extended warranty on the following products when they are installed by a qualified installer and registered within sixty (60) days from the date of installation: [/FONT]

• SuperFlo® and SuperMax® VS Variable Speed Pumps
  • IntelliFlo® (part # 011018) and IntelliPro® (part #P6E6VS4H) Variable Speed Pumps
  • Heaters and Heat Pumps
  • IntelliBrite® 5G White LED Light
[FONT=PSU_Standard]Pentair offers the following product warranties which do not require installation by a qualified installer:[/FONT]

• IntelliChlor® Salt Chlorine Generator Replacement Cell
  • Dorado™ Inground Cleaner
  • Prowler® 820 and Prowler 830 Inground Cleaners
  • Kreepy Krauly® Inground Cleaner
  • Kruiser™ Inground Cleaner
  • Great White® Inground Cleaner
  • SandShark™ Inground Cleaner
  • Rebel® Inground Cleaner --- When the Pentair Rebel is purchased at a retail store, pool builder, or pool service company, the product will have a 2-year limited warranty. If purchased online/E-commerce, the warranty will have a 60-Day Limited Warranty

Thanks for the input Jimrahbe,
Does the Pentair Intelliflo have an on/off timer built into the unit? I think some models may and some may not trying to find a good list and what the differences are between models. but $20.00/month for 24/7 operation may not pay to get highest model. What does the 1200 RPM equate to in HP being used?
Thank you for info on warranty being installed by a "profesional". Here is where I got my info:

pa,

The latest version of the IntelliFlo is supposed to be only sold in Brick and Mortar stores... If you read down a little you can see where the older versions of the IntelliFlo which have a 2 year warranty if installed by a qualified installer. In the past when Pentair was asked what qualified meant, they said any business that did installation work. If concerned, it would make sense to call and check with them before making a purchase..

I currently use the older IntelliFlo, P/N 011018.. Which does not have the rotatable control head.

Any IntelliFlo that you can buy today will have a built-in control panel (Timer..)

180 Watts is about 1/4 HP...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I spoke to a local store and they want to change the filter also, as with a larger variable speed pump, he thought my present sand filter is undersized to match the new pump.

Your filter will work just fine with the new pump. You don't "need" a bigger filter.

On Hayward web site the owner’s manual for my filter lists the Max flow rate with 1.5” pipes to be 45 GPM, however this is confusing to me because the Manuel covers several different filters that range from 50 lbs of sand to 700 lbs of sand and later gives the 45 GPM with 1.5” pipe for all the filters, unless I am reading it incorrectly.

The 45 gpm limit is a theoretical number based on the velocity of the water through the pipe. This value was chosen to limit the speed and overall pressure/head loss. As the flow rate increases, so does it's velocity since the diameter of the pipe doesn't change. The way to have higher flow rates on the filter is to use larger diameter piping between the equipment. Most of the equipment manuals have a table showing pipe diameter vs "max" flow rates.

I would think that the larger filters have higher max flow rates.

They would since the filter area is larger.

I have read about the Pentair Intelliflo and it sounds really nice as flow rates can be chosen or RPM/HP and therefore do not have to worry about head pressure when using flow rates to set the pump.

The pump's speed is able to be chosen. I don't believe either of these pumps can use flow as the control method. Flow rate is a result of where you are on the pump curve for the speed you are running at.

it is my understanding that larger impellers are more efficient at pumping at lower HP.

not necessarily. The impeller itself isn't what does it. It is the ability of a VS pump to operate at variable speeds to only move the water needed that increases that efficiency. You aren't stuck at full speed or half speed.

the power rating in the specs say it is variable from ¾ hp to 2.7 hp. I think I may want to run at less than ¾ hp. It also says that speed is variable from 600 – 3450 RPMs. Would 600 RPMs really be ¾ hp, I thought it would be much less than that.

The pump (motor) will only consume the power it needs to keep the impeller spinning at the desired speed. This power is set by the hydraulics of the system. If the impeller only needs 180 Watts to maintain the chosen speed, then that's all the motor will put out. Similar to your car, you don't have it "floored" to go 10 mph.

setting flow rate, which appeals to me.

At the end of the day, you don't care what the flow rate is. With a VS pump, you only run it fast enough and long enough to get the chlorine in the water, skim the debris and mix the water. Most ppl are surprised that they can run much less than expected.

That looks like a good deal for a VS pump but unfortunately "Splash Pump" is not eligible for rebates from my local electric company! And the description says " (Not recommended for pools with waterfalls/attatched spas/ etc)" what's up with that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.