Rail. Yay or nay

Wadeod

Jul 23, 2017
Granger, In
We are getting Same pool, same rail.

1) would you even get a rail? I think most aren’t but will have grandparents over and want them safe

2) would you put it parallel like this or offset a little so the end furthest in the pool is closer to pool so easier to hold when in the water.

imagepng

YES YES YES! You need a handrail for safety and ease of getting in and out.

You *think* you don't maybe need one, but one blown knee or sprained ankle and you will be surprised at how hard it really is to get in and out. Add age and well.. you should be getting the picture.

IMO, handrails should be required in the building permit. They do have artsy ones out there if the standard ones are too bougie for your tastes, lol.

Maddie :flower: <two artificial knees and one ruptured Achilles in one year...ask me how I know about handrails!>

Wade,

I vote for adding a handrail as the pool is being built.. I had to add one after the fact and it is a little on the ugly side. It would have looked a lot better if the attachment points would have been embedded in the concrete during the pool build..

dbtgallery.php

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I've had a request or two over the years for a railing from my elders. But they use the pool once every other year or so, so I just help them in and out. I'm in denial that they are a good idea. I expect when my wife or I have a need for one, I'll be their biggest proponent.

I am adding one this season and got a quote for around $1200 to add 1 rail. Get it done now you will not regret it. You can have the rail removable if you don't want it or for winterizing.

I've had a request or two over the years for a railing from my elders. But they use the pool once every other year or so, so I just help them in and out. I'm in denial that they are a good idea. I expect when my wife or I have a need for one, I'll be their biggest proponent.

B,

Old age comes on you like a mouse trap!!! One minute everything is fine, and the next... Bam!!! Your time is coming... :poke:

Jim R.

Yeah, +1 on the rail...I don't have NEW knees like Maddie but they're in the not to distant future. In my mere 7 years of pool ownership both hubby and I have had a season each of injury that necessitated use of the rail, and that's not counting family pool events or parties.

And believe me, when your body parts aren't working right, there's no better place to be than the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are getting Same pool, same rail.

1) would you even get a rail? I think most aren’t but will have grandparents over and want them safe

2) would you put it parallel like this or offset a little so the end furthest in the pool is closer to pool so easier to hold when in the water.

imagepng
In my area our pool builder told us they are required for hot tubs but not pools. Central Florida area.

They are working on the deck as I type. My husband say nay for the handrail, but I am torn. Decisions!
Does anyone else have input on this?

YES! Get it! It is just a sleeve they put in the deck but it has to be bonded to your bonding grid so VERY hard to add later. For now I highly suggest you at least get the sleeve for a rail. Do you have any elderly relatives at all that might swim?

So...being young and gorgeous <stop laughing> and somewhat healthy.... who knew I'd have an achilles tendon rupture and two artificial knees done all in a years time! And had I *not* had that handrail I'd have never been able to get in to that nice cool water..... cool water is sooooo good for inflammation and swelling. It feels sooooo nice.

So unless you're already invincible and bionic, go without. If you're human like the rest of us, be prepared just in case.....

Maddie :flower:

I agree with Poolgate. At least put the sleeves in and bonded now. The caps can be painted to match your deck if need be to be much less noticeable. Then when you do want to add the rail later (and you will), you're ready to go.

Fwiw, I'm firmly in the camp that steps used to enter / exit the pool should have a handrail.

I was nay on rails. I just help my mom in and out. I just thought it took away from the pool. Maybe some day I’ll regret it but hopefully once I can’t get in or out of it I’ll be living on the beach with a pole in the water daily. Lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.