New Pool - Upstate NY

Mar 4, 2018
Johnstown
The wife and I finally pulled the trigger on a pool. We are really looking forward to getting this thing started! It is mountain pond shaped, approximately 20 (22 at widest) by 39'11". It is the poly i-beam and vinyl liner. Total volume is 23000 gallons. We were quoted with the following equipment and wanted to make sure the components were sufficient. Thanks for all of the anticipated help in advance!

SD-80 filter with Whisper Flo 1.5 HP Pump
IC-40 EZ Touch with screen logic 2

If you have any other questions that would help you assess please let me know.

HI!!! What a fun but scary time for your family!

I would love to see the design and where the pool will be going!

Can you help me with the filter and pump? When I do a search for what you have listed I get general info that does not narrow it down to which one you will be getting. What kind of filter is it? How big? Is the pump 1, 2 or variable speed? Model numbers would be nice.

Will you have any water features?

Kim:kim:

s,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your new pool build questions... :shark:

There are many different models of the EasyTouch... I would recommend that you do not buy the "Lite" version units.. They will have an "L" in the model number, such as PL4 or PSL4...

Just like "lite" salad dressing, they just don't taste right... :p They do not come with a load center for all your circuit breakers.. They only allow 4 programs max.. They only have one feature circuit.

The lite version will work, as long as you know the limitations before buying...

No matter which version of the ET you get, ScreenLogic2 is a must have... It will make using and programming the ET about 10 x easier.

I am not a fan of single speed pool pumps.. They just cost too much to run.. I suggest you look at upgrading to a 2-speed pump. You would also have to buy a 2-speed relay for your ET, but you will make up for that cost with electrical savings...

How do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Here is the proposed drawing and a few photos of our yard. Pool stuff - Album on Imgur

The WhisperFlo is in fact the single speed model and 1.5 Horsepower. I have solar that will cover the usage. Would you still suggest a two speed?

Chlorination will be from the Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator - IC-40.

The filter is the Pentair Sand Dollar SD-80 with glass media.

I will verify the Easytouch but I am almost certain it is the full version. Thanks for the heads up.

The lights are Pentair Intellibrite 5G.

I hope that works for model numbers...it's all I can locate.

All plumbing will be Rigid PVC, I have sandy conditions and this was recommended in case of termites. All plumbing is schedule 80 with Heavy Duty "Praher" ball valves. Two skimmers with separate 2" ball valves, dual bottom drains with 2" valve, 6 clean water returns with 3 1.5" ball valves. A bypass system (3 valves) will be plumbed for future heat pump considerations. I am also having a water line run for a future slide.

I am doing cantilevered concrete but have not decided on a full patio design yet.

Please keep the questions coming! It's making me think :).

s,

If the EasyTouch you are getting has the built-in SWCG power supply, and is coming with the IC40, then it is a full up unit... Good choice on the salt system...

Well, since you asked, and it is easy for me to spend your money.. I would suggest the 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pump... It is designed to go along with the EasyTouch and is perfect for running slow when generating chlorine and automatically increasing the speed when your solar comes on. It is basically the "gold standard" of pool pumps.

If you don't want to install the IntelliFlo, then I would go with a 2-speed pump.

Just for reference, I can run my IntelliFlo, at 1200 rpm, 24/7, for less than $20 bucks a month...

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Check your utility for rebates. I got $400 for my variable speed pump. What state are you in? Also I would specify all Jandy neverlube valves. I would also go 2" or larger for all plumbing.

I know I did a terrible job with keeping this updated but figured I'd show some finished pics. This board has been immensely helpful. Thanks to all!
2Y7PwPw.jpg

FjDcwKQ.jpg

GbIEJBI.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice --

FYI - Pentair IC SWCG's like to have about 12" of straight pipe before the flow switch. If you have to run your pump (not sure what that is, Signature?) at higher rates to close the flow switch, that is the issue.

You have room to install the Jandy Never Lube valves later.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

I see now in previous posts you said it was an Intelliflo. Kind of looked like it but I was not sure.

If you need more than 1400 rpm or so to close the flow switch, see above.

Talk to me about that coping!!! How in the world did they do that???? I have never see that before!

Kim:kim:

Hopefully you like it, lol. It is just cantilevered concrete. They have forms that go into where the liner goes in. They pour the concrete, remove the forms, and then install the liner in that track.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice --

FYI - Pentair IC SWCG's like to have about 12" of straight pipe before the flow switch. If you have to run your pump (not sure what that is, Signature?) at higher rates to close the flow switch, that is the issue.

You have room to install the Jandy Never Lube valves later.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

I see now in previous posts you said it was an Intelliflo. Kind of looked like it but I was not sure.

If you need more than 1400 rpm or so to close the flow switch, see above.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks great! Man, I am so jealous of your beautiful setting. What a fantastic retreat.

Thank you, it's not without it's problems....cough leaves cough

- - - Updated - - -

Nice plumbing job. Paricularly like the pre-plumbing for a heater!

Yes...the heater was supposed to wait until next year....but I ordered it already ha ha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.