Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

SWG Recommendation

Back in November I had posted about going on a 17 day vacation and on day one my pool equipment broke: Cracked Backwash Valve, Sand, and SWG No Flow. I have everything fixed except for the SWG. The contractor apparently hired an electrician that didn't read the instructions and he did not put the SWG on a Timer... Therefore, it was on 24 hours a day for 8 months regardless of water flowing through it or not. That is why the grid fins are bent in the picture below. The Pentair Support Tech was actually surprised the housing was still in tact.

Anyway, this incident isn't under warranty. Luckily I hadn't paid for this portion of the work done yet, so I'm going to by a new SWG on my own and hire an electrician to hook it up properly! For my size pool is the IC-40 a good fit? Is Pentair a recommended brand? Thanks for any input!

Pentair IC40.jpg
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Recommendation

fb,

I have the IC40... you don't want to go any smaller... I like my IC40 because works well with my automation system... If I did not have an automation system, I would go with a CircuPool...

Here is a good comparison chart.. What you are looking for is cost vs. lbs. of chlorine per day.. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Keep in my that you already have the Pentair power supply, so all you need is the cell itself.. this assumes you go with a Pentair IC40 or 60...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    fb,

I have the IC40... you don't want to go any smaller... I like my IC40 because works well with my automation system... If I did not have an automation system, I would go with a CircuPool...

Here is a good comparison chart.. What you are looking for is cost vs. lbs. of chlorine per day.. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Keep in my that you already have the Pentair power supply, so all you need is the cell itself.. this assumes you go with a Pentair IC40 or 60...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Thanks Jim! Great point on already having the power supply. I think I will stay with the Pentair and when the IC40 was running it was doing a great job. I just wanted to double check since the Contractor made the purchase of the IC40.
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe the self install warranty on the Pentair IC40 is only 90 days.
    Blessings, Paul
    12K, StoneScapes Midnight Blue Mini Pebble w/abalone (July 2017 - executed bi-carb startup Refurb - Sachse, Tx), 3 shear descents on raised Austin stone beam, 2 sprayers, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2HP pump, STA-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, 3/4HP Pump for Polaris 280, Circupool RJ 45+, TF-2006, K-1766, & SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

wow thanks for the picture. That's a classic!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by peirek View Post
    I believe the self install warranty on the Pentair IC40 is only 90 days.
    60 days according to discount salt pools. That's why I immediately decided not to get a Pentair cuz I was installing it myself. Circupool has a full warranty on self install.
    Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test