Newbie to maintaining a pool

Mar 14, 2018
Arcadia, CA
Hey everyone. I just assumed responsibility of the pool at my mother's house (her pool guy is super flaky) I've watched a few videos, read some forums and Q & A, and about to order some cleaning supplies.

I see that shocking a pool and algaecide isn't 'necessary' for every pool. Where I'm confused is the testing part. Are those simple strips online ideal (the 4-way or 7-way)? Some have said test 2X a week, while some said do it every other day.

Is it necessary (and how often) to brush the sides? I've never seen our pool guy do that. The pool looks pretty clear besides the leaves and small debris, which I'll get a skimmer/net for.

Thanks !!

C,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your pool maintenance questions... :shark:

I suggest you start with this link... Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

And then to our recommended test kits... See this link... Pool School - Test Kits Compared

I have three pools and have never added any pool store "Shock" nor algaecide, nor PhosFree or any other "magic" in the past four or five years that I have owned them...

I only use the TFP Pool Care process and my TF-100 test kit... I would recommend testing every couple of days until you get to "know" your pool.. After than once a week is plenty.

After you read our pool school articles, please start asking more questions in our other sub-forums...

Thanks for your Intro,

Jim R.