Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Normal cartridge in DE filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Normal cartridge in DE filter?

I bought a house with pool and it has a DE filter with standard cartridges inside it. It seems to work just fine. I need to buy an extra set of cartridges now and have few questions.
    • Should I buy standard cartridges or DE cartridges?
    • Has anyone done this before? Is so, what was your experience.
    • this is a old filter without any backwash mechanism and I couldn’t find DE cartridges for it anywhere. Maybe the manufacturer discontinued support for this model. So, what would be your suggestion if I cannot find DE cartridges, use normal cartridges or getting a new filter instead?

Thanks for your help in advance!
    ~20-25k gal inground outdoor plaster pool, American Products Titan DE Filter(seems quite old, haven't found anyone else with this yet), solar heater, will add more details soon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Normal cartridge in DE filter?

Here you go-

Filter Parts - INYOPools.com

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Me?? I would get a whole new filter to make sure it all works together like it should.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by dinesh View Post
    I bought a house with pool and it has a DE filter with standard cartridges inside it. It seems to work just fine. I need to buy an extra set of cartridges now and have few questions.
    • Should I buy standard cartridges or DE cartridges?
    • Has anyone done this before? Is so, what was your experience.
    • this is a old filter without any backwash mechanism and I couldn’t find DE cartridges for it anywhere. Maybe the manufacturer discontinued support for this model. So, what would be your suggestion if I cannot find DE cartridges, use normal cartridges or getting a new filter instead?

Thanks for your help in advance!
    I think what you have there is a Pentair Quad DE filter. The filter elements look like standard cartridges but have more space between the pleats. This is my favorite DE filter, as it is very easy to access and re-assemble. I'm a little surprised that the curved panel filters are still on the market.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reply Mayorb. Do you know where can I find the DE cartridges for it?

I did an extensive search, including calling the company and they all seem to recommend to me the grid assembly (see link http://www.inyopools.com/Products/07501352018484.htm). I even ordered this and it just didn't fit /work for my filter so had to return it. Any help would be much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Here you go-

Filter Parts - INYOPools.com

Maddie
    I can't seem to find what would work for me. The reference model here shows a grid assembly, which doesn't work for my model
    ~20-25k gal inground outdoor plaster pool, American Products Titan DE Filter(seems quite old, haven't found anyone else with this yet), solar heater, will add more details soon

6. Back To Top    #6

My current cartridge is 20" tall with the outer diameter of 7" and the inner diameter of 3". And the closest match to that is Pentair De Cartridge, 15 Sq Ft Quad 60 (178654) - INYOPools.com with the outer diameter of 6" (1 inch shorter) rest specifications are almost same. Would this work for my case or do I have to buy the one with 7" outer diameter? Thanks again for bearing with my novice questions.

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you called and talked to anyone in the tech part of inyo? If not let me know so I can have a name ready for you to call and ask for.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Have you called and talked to anyone in the tech part of inyo? If not let me know so I can have a name ready for you to call and ask for.

Kim
    It would be nice if you can provide me with the contact at Inyo. Earlier, I tried the tech support for the filter manufacturer but the provided me the wrong information, pointing to those DE grids which didn't work for me. Hoping Inyo would be better to talk and get right information.

9. Back To Top    #9

I will work on it. Might be a tomorrow as they are in FL and so closed for the day.

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Does the tank have ANY label or info? Is your backwash valve beige, flat on top, or is it white and dome shaped?

pentairpool.com/en/products/filters/quad%20de%20cartridge%20style%20filters

See if that's it.

Cleaning a Quad DE Filter Overview - YouTube

Let us know.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello Dinesh - Could you post a picture of the filter and the filter label? This way we can determine exactly what you need.

If you call Inyo again, ask for Andy, Alex, Lennox or Joe. They are the most experienced reps on the phone and will surely be able to assist you.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by InyoRob View Post
    Hello Dinesh - Could you post a picture of the filter and the filter label? This way we can determine exactly what you need.

If you call Inyo again, ask for Andy, Alex, Lennox or Joe. They are the most experienced reps on the phone and will surely be able to assist you.
    Hi Rob, here is the link to the filter picture Shared album - Dinesh Nagar - Google Photos

It's Amercian Products - Titan Vertical Grid D.E. Filter
    Model No. 188550, Serial No. RPMF3404, Filter area 36

14. Back To Top    #14

It seems like someone converted your American Titan DE grid filter into a quad cartridge filter. Your cartridge measurements (20"L,7"OD,3"ID) match up with the American Quantum 90 sq ft cartridges. These are different from the quad DE cartridges because the pleats are closer together.

To answer your original question, the cartridges can hold more debris than the grids and can go longer between cleanings.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by InyoRob View Post
    It seems like someone converted your American Titan DE grid filter into a quad cartridge filter. Your cartridge measurements (20"L,7"OD,3"ID) match up with the American Quantum 90 sq ft cartridges. These are different from the quad DE cartridges because the pleats are closer together.

To answer your original question, the cartridges can hold more debris than the grids and can go longer between cleanings.
    This is great help Rob. Thanks so much! I guess I should order the replacement cartridges based on the model you suggested.