Kicking Off SoCal Remodel w/ Spa Addition

dave_w

Mar 31, 2017
SoCal
Mid Century - 1963 Pool remodel. 1st saw cut tomorrow. The shell cracked and upon inspection we found that the cantilevered deck was not tied in correctly around the whole perimeter. The bond beam stops about 7" shy, 1/2 way up the tile line. This was causing the mud to crack, tiles to pop, and water to get behind the shell, as we didn't know it was constructed this way. Long story short. We are cutting back the perimeter to raise the bond beam to proper height, re-plumb the whole pool, and add a spa where the stairs currently are. Would like to have put the spa on raised area at deep end, but permitting and grading requirements for a hillside property precluded this option. New stairs going in at bottom right.

I am at a loss as to what to do with brick work and deck surface. Deck currently is covered by dark gray epoxy coating, which I assume is hiding some cracks. It was applied just before last sale of home by seller. The deck is over 2000 sq ft. so too cost prohibitive to remove and replace. I welcome input and suggestions.

031118.jpg

That whole area looks so pretty!

I bet there were some adult words said with that first saw cut :shock:

Decking-I like how it looks now...well except for the spray painted stuff LOL. Have you heard of spraydeck? That might be something you would like to look into. Not sure what you would do with the bricks at the end by the pool. Maybe chip them out and put some concrete in their place then cover with the spraydeck. Do a search online for spraydeck and see who does it in your area.

Kim:kim:

Thanks. I believe the coating on the deck now is actually Spray Deck in a dark gray color Its in pretty good condition and I'd just keep it, except the dark color means it can exceed 150 F on a hot day!! and I'm tired of burning my feet. I have a local concrete contractor coming by tomorrow to assess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.