Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Built in GFCI keeps tripping

1. Back To Top    #1

Built in GFCI keeps tripping

I have an Intex sand filter with saltwater system. Ran great for 2 summers, not the GFCI that is on the factory cord trips immediately every time I reset it. I have checked all cords, no nicks or cracks. I have 1 month left on the warranty, but not sure how good Intex is about actually handing warranty issues. Any advice??

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Built in GFCI keeps tripping

If the circuit you're plugged in to is GFCI protected, cut it off and replace it with a plain plug.

I always had to do this with my Intex pumps because I used a timer to automate it, and it always tripped the Intex GFCI each time the timer turned it on.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

One of 2 things, I have seen gfci’s go bad and they can’t be reset.

2nd, you have a ground fault somewhere. Some are so sensitive that just the moisture in the air is enough to trip the circuit. Make sure there are no tiny cuts, or abrasions to the insulation.
    Blue Hawaiian “Wellington” FG pool 6500 Gal. Raypak 266 NG Nickle plated, 3/4hp Hayward super pump, Heater Reader wifi / app controller. Pentair 420 sq' cartridge filter. Hayward 25k SWG
    Pal LED pool lighting. Jandy K-1100 Electronic Autofiller Build thread here: 2018: Fiberglass install uxbridge ointario

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's worked for 2 summers and now it's not, has anything else around your pool area changed since this started happening.

As noted, GFCI breakers are humidity sensitive...also, if it has tripped or been reset multiple times, they can become weaker and trip easier, esp when the season is going from cold to warmer. Does the sun hit this area w the GFCI any? if so, how often per day time of season?

GFCI's are not too expensive. You could replace it w an identical GFCI switch and see what happens. However, since you are still under warranty, I would definitely call the installer and put them under notice of the issue so you can have the problem time-stamped.

Keep us posted and good luck,
    tstexx
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks, I have called it in to warranty and they made me a claim to replace the whole motor unit....we will see if that really happens. Keeping my fingers crossed