Pool Pump & Plumbing Setup?

Jan 27, 2018
Mobile, Al
Hello All,
We have just purchased a home with a swimming pool and I need some help with setup. I've never dealt with pools so I'm not sure exactly how the existing setup works or what I need to do. If someone could explain this it would be appreciated.

Anyhow, it is a 25k gallon salt water swimming pool with a liner. I want to do away with the booster pump and replace the existing pool pump with a variable speed. I'll be purchasing a robotic cleaner. There is only one pool feature and that is a fountain but we may or may not use it.

So please explain what all the pvc pipes do in the current setup?

*One pipe comes out of the left of the sand filter and goes into the ground.
*One pipe comes out of the right of the sand filter and goes to the pool pump. It then exits the pool pump and splits into two via "T" and then into the ground.
*A second pipe comes out of the right side of the sand filter and splits into two pipes. The larger pipe goes into the salt water cell and then into the ground. The second smaller pipe goes to the booster pump then exits into the ground.

So how does all of this work and how should I remove the booster pump. Secondly, where should I install unions and/or valves?

Thanks,Ralph

I'm far from an expert, but since nobody else has chimed in yet I'll give it a shot.

The two pipes coming out of the ground and going into the pump are your intake lines, likely connected to one or more skimmers and possibly a main drain. Pump draws water from these pipes and pushes it out of the top of the pump and into the filter.

The filtered water comes out of the filter from the pipe on the lower right side, just under where it goes in. It then gets split, with the large pipe running though the salt water chlorine generator, and down into the ground where it then goes to the pool returns. I'm guessing the smaller pipe connected to the booster pump is for the waterfall.

The pipe on the left side of the filter looks like a waste line, likely running to the street or tied into a sewer drain line. When you back wash your filter, this is where the dirty water will go.

I'd definitely put unions close to the pump on both the intake and output sides. Unions for the filter connections are a good idea as well.
It might also be a good idea to replace the tee fitting at the pump intake with a 3 way valve, allowing you to control your intake source, but that kinda depends on what your intake sources are.

How many skimmers does your pool have? Does it have a main drain, or multiple drains? Is there a dedicated vacuum port for a cleaner anywhere?

Hi Ralph here is a rough diagram. I like Jandy never lube valves because you can do fine adjustments. Also it looks like your booster pump lines are 3/4 inch so you probably do not want to divert all the flow to it when using your cleaner. Of course you can eliminate this and purchase a robot cleaner. There are many threads here suggesting the best. Hope this helps:cheers:
dbtgallery.php

Hey Ralph my apologies but I just saw in your PM that you were doing away with your booster pump and going with a robot. Capping the booster pump lines would be fine. Also no Jandy valve will be needed after the SWG. Hope this helps:cheers:

Thanks Brentr and Miner Jason for the input and especially for the diagram! That is a big help.

I want to clarify a few things if possible. So, I am to cap off the 3/4 pvc line that enters the ground from the existing booster pump as I am doing away with the booster pump? Consequently, I will only then have the 2" return line going to the pool from the SWG. So where does the 3/4 line go anyhow? Also, what is the purpose of the valve between the main drain and the skimmer?

God Bless,
Ralph

Thanks Brentr and Miner Jason for the input and especially for the diagram! That is a big help.

I want to clarify a few things if possible. So, I am to cap off the 3/4 pvc line that enters the ground from the existing booster pump as I am doing away with the booster pump? Consequently, I will only then have the 2" return line going to the pool from the SWG.
Correct.
So where does the 3/4 line go anyhow?
The 3/4 line goes to a fitting in your pool that you attach a pressure pool cleaner like a polaris vac cleaner.
Also, what is the purpose of the valve between the main drain and the skimmer?
Sometime you want more skimming action so you can adjust the valve for that. Most of the time I have mine adjusted halfway however during pollen season I adjust to pull from the skimmer only. It is nice to have that option.

God Bless,
Ralph

See above. Hope this helps:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.