Draining a pool - dumb question

leeatmg

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 25, 2014
Chandler, AZ
I realize this seems like a dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere and I'm pretty new at this.

I've tested my water using the test kit for CYA six times over a week, and get the same result - CYA well over 200 (240-260) using the dilution method. Pool guy, who is no longer employed by us, had been using tabs indiscriminately and CYA ended up way too high (it's a salt pool, btw.) I know I have to drain water out, and I'm in the process of doing so with a submersible pump.

Do I need to do anything with the pool equipment as the water level falls? It's all shut off of course, but assuming I need to drain somewhere around 2/3 of the water (and maybe more) I wanted to make sure I'm not supposed to do something with the equipment - that just putting the pump in the pool, pumping water, refilling, then adding chemicals as needed to rebalance is all I need to do.

Thanks in advance...

---Lee

Lee,

Yep... just keep the pool equipment off and drain using your sump pump...

Keep in mind that you want your CYA to be 70 or 80 ppm with a saltwater pool. But, if you have obvious algae, it is best to get the CYA down to 30 or so, before doing a SLAM...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim - thanks for the very speedy reply! I have no algae issues that I have seen, though I have been keeping the chlorine high with liquid chlorine (and running the SWG all winter) preventatively. I am hopeful that all I have to do is to drain enough water and replace it (and the salt, and so on.) I will probably do a 1/3 - 1/2 drain, refill overnight, and reassess tomorrow. Ran out of the R-0013 so I ordered more and I'm flying a little blind right now. :)

---Lee

If your CYA really is 260 (and the test is unreliable at such high concentrations - it could be 300), you may be best off doing a nearly complete drain and start over.

Better to end up with CYA lower than where you want it than it still being too high!

This will, of course, cost you more in water and replacement salt, but being in Chandler, your CH is also probably way too high and you'd benefit from a full drain anyhow.

Thanks...I decided to let the submersible pump run overnight, and when I woke up, I was probably at about 80% drained, so I decided to stop it there and begin filling. I agree that the CH might be high - hadn't tested it, TBH, in a year - but when I last tested it, it was in the normal range. But I don't know that the pool had ever been drained (it's 16 years old) so I figured I had nothing to lose other than a few $ in chemicals and water.

Using two hoses and the autofill, it's back up to within 12" of the top, so I figure it should be done before tonight. I'll add some chemicals (salt, liquid chlorine) to get it started and balance it all out in the morning. Appreciate the advice!

I haven't gotten around to making a signature yet, but our pool is pretty unique for the area - every square inch of it is mosaic tiled in 1" cobalt blue tile, except the waterline tile which is pretty normal. I wonder sometimes if that provides a benefit or a hinderance on the chemical balance thing. :)

Thanks...to be perfectly honest, the pool was one of the main reasons we bought this house. We loved the pool, especially the color. I suppose we could do without the turtle. :) I shudder to think what the cost will be when we someday need to re-tile due to age.

Numbers looked pretty good after drain and refill. I think I ended up draining around 75-80% of the pool. Added one gal of 10% chlorine and four bags of salt. Numbers:

TC - 6
pH - 8.0
CH - 350
Salt - 2800
TA - 13
CYA - ??? (waiting for shipment of reagent to test.)

I know I need to get the pH and TA down, but I need to figure out what the current CYA is before I start adding chemicals so I'm leaving that for now. Thanks to all for the advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.