Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to best manage the hot weather transition?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to best manage the hot weather transition?

Thanks again to all for the great info which helped get our new pool up & running last year! It is a new-build and has had water now since mid-Dec '17. Below are some recent readings from my TF-100 kit:

IMG_0490.jpg

Also the IntelliChlor SWG is currently set to 10%

I seem to have the cold water temp chemistry dialed-in and stable (water temps been right around upper 50's all winter--SWG is on sometimes, and sometimes turns off) and the water has just been beautifully clear. Since this will be the first Spring/Summer with the new pool, my concern is now how to stay ahead of the upcoming transition to warm water and 100-degree air temps? Should I now stick much closer to whatever PoolMath suggests, or are there other considerations? Thanks!
    Kurt

17,700 gal IG pool & spa, Pebblesheen, EasyTouch, Intelliflo 3HP VS, Clean & Clear 520, Intellichlor IC-40, Mastertemp 400 heater, In-floor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to best manage the hot weather transition?

Kurt,

If you look at this chart... FC/CYA Chart you can see that we recommend a CYA of 70 or 80 in a saltwater pool, especially in places like Arizona...

The high CYA helps prevent the sun from burning your FC off in a micro second...

You will find as the weather gets hotter, that you will have to keep increasing you cell's output percentage, or increasing your run time, to maintain the right amount of FC. I personally like to run the FC a little high, just to make sure it never falls below the minimum value...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by KurtinTUS View Post
    What app is this?!
    20K gal, IG, Salt, Kidney w/spa, plaster, beach entrance, 3'-7' deep. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 8, IC40, Pentair VS Pump 011056, Triton II TR100 SF, old Legend cleaner.
    Taylor K2006C, SpeedStir, K1766 Salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That's TFPs Pool Math app, the perfect companion to TFPC! Free, with some in app upgrades available for reasonable.
    12300 gallon IG pebble, freeform 19x28, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, no floor drains, auto fill. Pentair: EasyTouch PSL4, ScreenLogic2, Indoor Control Panel, Intelliflo 2 VST, IntelliChlor IC40, IntellipH, CCP320 Cartridge Filter, MasterTemp 250 Heater, Rebel Suction-Side Cleaner, IntelliBrite. Solar and cleaner actuators. Heliocol HC-50 8-panel solar heating. FlowVis Flow Meter. Taylor: K-2006 and K-1766 Test Kits, SpeedStir. City/softened water.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info, Jim! I'll start easing the FC & CYA levels up over the next couple of weeks.
    Kurt

17,700 gal IG pool & spa, Pebblesheen, EasyTouch, Intelliflo 3HP VS, Clean & Clear 520, Intellichlor IC-40, Mastertemp 400 heater, In-floor cleaning system

6. Back To Top    #6

Updated test results. I've been boosting the FC and CYA in anticipation of warmer temps ahead:

IMG_0582.jpg

Am I still on the right track? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

This week I'm obsessing over CSI. I gather that a CSI as close to 0.0 as possible is the goal, but it seems like I have to run the pH on the high side (approaching 8) to achieve this. Is a pH in this range desirable for the long term, or is there another way to better manage CSI?
    Kurt

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Your CSI is fine. Your FC on the other hand is a little low. Just for reference, here is the chart. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart I like to print it out and keep it near where I do my testing.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

8. Back To Top    #8

I would say that 0.0 CSI is not ideal for your pool, you want to run it slightly negative. I would tend toward -0.3 as an ideal CSI for your pool because of SWG, plaster and location. Anywhere from -0.6 to 0 is fine, as Mr Bruce says your CSI is fine. Running your pH on the high side is fine, I would let it rise to 8.2 and lower it to 7.8. This will slowly lower your TA u til pH and TA find equilibrium. Your TA will likely land somewhere between 50 and 60. As low as 50 is fine and will likely work well in your pool. A negative CSI will help to prevent scale build up in your SWG cell.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Your CH will increase as evaporation really kicks in. You will then need to manage your pH at a lower level to maintain the CSI in the slightly negative range. As your CH goes into the upper ranges (above 800 ppm) you then must be very diligent with your CSI to keep from scale on all surfaces.

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the good info, guys!
    Kurt

11. Back To Top    #11

This has been an interesting transition week with higher water temps (about 80F, supplemented with the heater), and lots of kidlets swimming in the pool for many hours each day. I keep ratcheting up the SWG (now at 45%) to keep up with the FC demand, but have found I still need to supplement with liquid bleach. I know there is some lag with the SWG achieving a new target FC, but does anyone have a good WAG as to where I should be setting the SWG for these warmer temps, and roughly how long it might take for the pool to reflect the higher SWG settings?
    Kurt

12. Back To Top    #12

Remember the SWG is good for maintaining FC levels but not for raising levels. Whenever you have a good/long load of bathers is always a good idea to supplement with liquid chlorine even before they swim. There is 2 ways to increase your FC, either by increasing % or by longer run times.

Felipe
    7,500 gal Rectangular, Easytouch 8, Air+water temp sensors, Screenlogic2, IC40, intellibright5g color12v, Intelli pH, SD 70 filter w/Zeolit, Magicstream Laminars, waterfall. Raised Monolithic concrete lined with glass beads.

In Sunny Monterrey,Mx!