Trenton NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Been maintaining my own spreadsheet over the years but now that I have a newly installed granite pool I'm also going to start watching CSI metrics more than I have in the past when I had vinyl pools.

I track the following values each week throughout the season...

2018 Season

Date
FC (3/5/28/70; 4/6/31/80)
CC
TC
T/A (60-80)
CH (350-450)
CYA (70-80)
pH (7.2-7.8) ideal 7.4-7.6
Temp
Salt (3000-3500)
Borates (30-50)
CSI [btwn -.60 <-> +.60]
Pressure Gauge PSI

I've looked for hours ( unsuccessfully ) if someone created a formula that one would use in an excel spreadsheet to calculate CSI. What I do now is enter the values in pool math and enter the value manually in my spreadsheet... although not a major problem, it would be much easier if that formula that's in the pool calculator be converted to a 'formula' for excel to use.

Just asking if someone perhaps is already doing that and if they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance
---John

Here's the formula that's in PoolCalc, pulled from the webpage source. Looks like it wouldn't be very difficult to convert to a spreadsheet formula.

EDIT: A mod edited this post and did not say they did.

Last edited:
I think the PoolMath app is great but not quite there yet....I’ve been maintaining a spreadsheet for the last 7 pool seasons. Every Saturday morning is my ritual of testing water and sitting in my “garage office” with my laptop maintaining/recording my pool water chemistry. I log everything from issues to remedial action taken and chemical usage that I rely/depend/look back on constantly. I’m not ready to give that up just yet....just looking for perhaps someone who is also logging like I am that figured a way to calculate CSI in a spreadsheet cell.

Here's the formula that's in PoolCalc, pulled from the webpage source. Looks like it wouldn't be very difficult to convert to a spreadsheet formula.

Thank you jseyfert3....Yeah, saw something like this from ChemGeek as well and it’s a little over my Excel expertise....therein lies the problem!

The webpage code showing the CSI calculation from the PoolCalc page that I posted last night has been deleted. So, did a mod edit my post and delete that? Is there something wrong about showing webpage code, something anyone is capable of viewing?

I have an Excel spreadsheet I whipped up but it's giving completely different results. For the inputs I put in, PoolMath was giving -0.53 and the Spreadsheet was giving -2.73.

EDIT: That's because I accidentally used a base 10 log in Excel instead of a natural log. Here you go:

EDIT 2: A mod edited this post and did not say they did.

Last edited:
TFP does not wish to allow the PoolMath code to be shared all over the Internet. We have worked hard behind the scenes developing this free tool and do not wish to paste it all over the place. While we know the code is able to be viewed behind the scenes we ask that you please respect our work and not paste it elsewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TFP does not wish to allow the PoolMath code to be shared all over the Internet. We have worked hard behind the scenes developing this free tool and do not wish to paste it all over the place. While we know the code is able to be viewed behind the scenes we ask that you please respect our work and not paste it elsewhere.

Leebo -> It would of be nice when you removed the original one from jseyfert3 that you mentioned something to this effect... we asked the question and received no response either so I went ahead thinking perhaps when I replied I might of messed something up and reposted the webcode again thinking nothing was wrong with that. I would of complied with your request if you stated this in the first place.

There's no doubt you worked hard behind the scenes developing this code to make available for all of us TFP users ( and very much appreciated ) but you certainly didn't work hard about protecting it... just saying. The code itself is opened and freely visible to see to anyone who visits the pool math site.

Leebo -> It would of be nice when you removed the original one from jseyfert3 that you mentioned something to this effect... we asked the question and received no response either so I went ahead thinking perhaps when I replied I might of messed something up and reposted the webcode again thinking nothing was wrong with that. I would of complied with your request if you stated this in the first place.
Agreed. Every other forum I've been a member of will tag a post that a mod has edited with something to the effect of "Mod x edited this post <timestamp>. Reason: <fill the blank>". Having a post edited without a message saying it was edited is confusing to both the person who posted and any future readers.

There's no doubt you worked hard behind the scenes developing this code to make available for all of us TFP users ( and very much appreciated ) but you certainly didn't work hard about protecting it... just saying. The code itself is opened and freely visible to see to anyone who visits the pool math site.
This isn't really possible. If it's a website, the source has to be viewable, otherwise your web browser can't make the page.

To your original question, you can check out Hhem Geek's post here: my awful trip to the pool store - Page 2
Chemgeek also posted his own spreadsheet in this post: Chem geek chemical calculation spreadsheet?

Neither of those is doing the same calculation that PoolMath does, but that said, it does appear to be what PoolMath used to do, based on the commented (not used) code lines having the exact same formula as Chem Geek's. If I can say that sentence without getting in trouble. :rolleyes:

Was very confusing how you handled this, simple explanation would have been great.

I am poking my nose in here to let you know why Lee was not able to do the "post edited by Lee reason:" comment............He was out to lunch with his girls and just bouncing to and out. He ask the MODS if we were able to do it but.......I am guessing we were all also busy. Most of the time we do add the edit reason but sometimes it just does not happen. Thank you for understanding that we volunteers do this to help people enjoy their pools as much as we do and sometimes things happen.

Kim TFP MOD

There is a very easy way to hide that code...and if we did it, it would knock out Pool Math’s visibility to about 80% of the people that visit that page.

At the end of the day TFP’s mission is to make DIY pool care as accessible and freely available to every pool owner we can reach. So the PoolMath webpage is a free resource that TFP hosts without burdensome logins in order to further that mission. As such, we rely on the good faith of all users and subscribers to TFP to be respectful and follow the rules as well as exercise common sense regarding intellectual property and source code. If this forum has been of any value to you and if it has saved you money, then perhaps you can treat it with the respect and care that it deserves.

I’m sorry I did not see the original post so that I could have directed you to the actual source paper where the CSI is discussed (it’s HERE in case you’re interested). However, you did post to The Deep End sub-forum (not heavily monitored) at 830pm on a Saturday night so a little patience would have been appreciated and would have avoided a lot of unnecessary posts.

As Kim mentioned I was out to lunch with my family when I temporally hid this thread. My oldest two had competed in a "Destination Imagination" contest yesterday and the oldest won first while the middle won second. We're off to another contest in a few weeks for State. :D They're both just a tad excited and we wanted to celebrate some.

There are a few ways I "could" hide the source code for PoolMath however some of the most effective ways blocks users depending on their setup. I would prefer users respect our work and allow us to trust all to do the right thing. If tracking CSI is really important we've got the PoolMath App that can track for you no problem. Now I fully admit it's not where we want it but it's a work in progress. If you've got any assistance we would LOVE to hear your feedback.

Lee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.