Bigger may not be better for pool pumps?

Mar 3, 2018
Marietta / GA
Hello, I'm a first time user of the forum. I'd appreciate some advice please. I have a 15,000 sand filter pool with a heater. I replaced the pump last year with a 1-1.5 hp rated pump from The Home Depot. The first pump burned out in about 5 months. Home Depot was awesome, as usual and replaced the pump on the spot. I noticed that the new pump is running very hot. The other one did too. All the wires are sized correctly. My fear is that the pump may be too big for the pool and plumbing. Is that possible? For a pool my size I learned that a 3/4 to 1hp pump should be sufficient. Do I need to reduce the size of the pump? The pump is rated 6,000 gallons per hour and my filter is rate for max 125 gallons per minute (7,500 gallons per hour). Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks
Jaygee

I doubt it being too big is your problem.

Can you tell us a bit more about the pump and equipment?

1. What is your filter pressure?

2. What is the service factor on the motor?

3. Is the pump a 1 or 1½ hp? It won't be both.

4. What size pump did you originally have?

5. How hot is 'very hot'? (Can you hold your hand on the motor for a few seconds)

6. What is the make and model of the pump?

As long as the impeller matches the motor (it should if you bought a complete pump) and there's enough discharge pressure to keep it in the pump curve that size shouldn't cause a problem.

Thanks for the note.
The pump is 1-1/2 HP
6,000 gallons per hour.
Filter pressure: The label says that max pressure is 50 psi
I don't recall the size of the original pump.
I can hold my hand on the motor for a few seconds but it's pretty uncomfortable.
It is an EverBuilt pump. Model K63CXEAP - 5221
The Service Factor is 1.10
Thanks for any advice you can provide.

What is the filter pressure reading on the gauge when the pump is running and when it's off?

If you can force yourself to hold your hand on it for 8 seconds it's less than 150ºF.

I see that it's a dual voltage motor. Are you sure that it's connected to the correct voltage that the motor is set for?