May 28, 2011
No. CA
I'll use this to track the process start to finish

1: choices advice and decisions
2: selection of finish and tile
3: the renovation
4: startup and first 30 days
Phase 5: Ahhhhhh :swim:

Original title: 1999 IG pool / spa getting ready for rennovation Plaster? Pebble Sheen? Pebble Fina?

Close to pulling the trigger on a "re-plaster" re-tile effort for my IG pool built in 1999, located in No. CA.

I am torn between dark plaster, pebble sheen and pebble fina along with selecting a color.

Originally the pool was dark plaster. Over the years the color faded here and there, became mottled and the darkness faded, but in the last year or two the plaster has gotten too rough.

I get the longevity of pebble vs plaster yet the pool is 19 years old, and I will admit the plaster probably should have been replaced last year, but three years ago it was still in very good shape except for some color mottling and fading here an there.

So, it is time...

PB quoted dark plaster, pebble sheen "granite blue"; and their house brand which has similar colors but also some shimmering effects.

approx 7K for dark plaster, 10.5K for house brand of pebble sheen and 11.5K for pebble sheen granite blue.

I got one quote for pebble fina, but it was a tier 3 color and needed a "hot start" and the price was almost 13K

I picked up samples and tossed them in the pool, and I am pretty sure I want a darker finish than granite blue.

So, if anyone has pics or opinions I'm all ears.

I'm tempted to just go with dark plaster again...

I'm meeting with PB tuesday.

So, why am I posting this?

I'm looking for some feedback or other ideas on color choices, and will also post pics of whatever I end up selecting.

Last edited:
Re: 1999 IG pool / spa getting ready for rennovation Plaster? Pebble Sheen? Pebble Fi

You could look into an Aquabright finish if you are thinking of going with plaster. It’s more expensive but won’t fade. You can use the search box above and find out more info.
How much sun does your pool get? Darker could be good if not full day, otherwise it might be too warm for y’all. Pool color can be a hard decision!

Re: 1999 IG pool / spa getting ready for rennovation Plaster? Pebble Sheen? Pebble Fi

Agreed that regular plaster can last quite a long time if the water is properly maintained. And longer for the others. Have they discussed with you, or are you familiar with the mottling that will occur with a dark colored regular plaster? I wouldn't want you to be surprised by it. It's both random and can also show troweling strokes depending on the installation. Ours shows both to some degree and I'm fine with it. But it's not a look for everyone.

Thanks for the input.

@marla, I'll take as much heat as I can get so darker is better. pool gets some direct sun, but is shaded until about 10.30am and after 4pm in summer. I have it covered during april/may and have solar panels on the roof to keep it in the low/mid 80s. We get cool breezes in the evening and the pool temps can fall 8 to 10 degrees overnight.

@bmoreswim I am familiar with the mottling that will happen to dark plaster. I don't mind it. The spa is raised about 18 inches and there is a spillover into the pool so there are always ripples on the water so even now in its sorry state it doesn't look too bad.

I'm leaning towards Pebble Sheen Turtle Bay. PB lists it as a Tier 3 color so I'm not sure how much more it will be.

PB quoted 12.7K for Pebble Fina Sapphire Galaxy because they have to do a "hot start" which adds labor cost. I'm having a hard time swallowing 5K over plaster for the fina.

I guess I'll pickup some more samples on monday and toss them in the pool and see how they look.

@Marla, Glad to hear the feedback. I think yes.

I have two samples in the pool right now. One is Pebble Blue Granite, the other is the PB's in-house version they call pebble plus, and they call the color Riviera with beads and abalone. I have the samples in the shallow end, and other than the color being too light, they both look really nice My 19yo dark plaster is faded and mottled and both samples are the same color as the lightest faded section of the existing plaster, and I think I want darker.

It's been storming for the last few days and I haven't seen the samples in sunlight but the beads and abalone seem to add a nice touch.

Here is a pic from 2013. It had faded a fair amount from the original color, and the 2013 color is pretty close to what it is today. For those with a keen eye, I photochopped a kid out of the picture in front of the waterfall.

2013-pool.jpg

I'm not sure how this will turn out, but I'll give it a try. I have three samples in the shallow end. It is overcast, 8am and has been storming and the water is not that clear right now.

the legend below are how the samples are arranged in the pool.
Left smaller triangle is pebble sheen Blue Granite. The larger triangle in the center is Pebble Plus Riviera with beads and abalone. The oval on the right is pebble fina steel grey.

The lower left side of the picture has reflection of the sky. The rest is pretty close to the colors and shades.

20180303_samples.jpg

Last edited:

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those colors! The two triangles look very close in color to each other. The shells and beads will make the difference in the sun.

The "hot start" is the best start for any plaster. We had one PO that did it on her own. I can show you the thread if you would like. It might not hurt to talk to your PB and see if he will allow you to do it on your own IF you can show him your test kit and show him you know how to do it......

Kim:kim:

Kim, thanks for your comments.

On the hot start.. the color list from the PB indicates Pebble Fina Black Galaxy, Emerald Galaxy and Sapphire Galaxy require hot start.

PB also does quartzscape by NPT and they state on the color sheet "Adams does not acid wash; needs hot start for proper exposure"
The colors that look most interesting are "upgrade2"...

They also indicate it is not "reflections" which looks to be the super cool looking flavor with flecks in it.

Anway, the sun came out and I want to go darker. The samples in the pool are a bit too light for my tastes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I picked up another sample today that is their house brand similar to pebble sheen with beads and abalone. It is darker and close to pebble sheen Ocean Blue.

I have a date set for this to start on April 5th pending my final approval of the pebble color and tile. Should be done in 8 - 10 days.

I'll post some current pics and some progress.

I am pretty jazzed about all of this :D

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far.

:swim:

Now go throw the new sample in the water so we can see it with you!!

Kim:kim:

Perhaps tomorrow I'll be home during daylight and can get a picture.

I saw it briefly this morning before sun was on the pool, and this sample is not much darker than the other ones, however the 1 foot square sample in the office was darker and had lots of nice blue glass beads.

I am also going to change the tile. I wasn't sure if they were going to be able to replace the tile that is inset in the steps up to the spa, but they said that was included so I'm going to go with a 6x6 tile that is closer to the color of the rock wall. I have a few samples of that too and will snap some pics.

Last edited:
The sun came out today... Finally. Apologies the pool is a mess and i'm not inclined to clean it since it will be drained in about 3 weeks.

Here are some pictures of the samples.
20180311_120212.jpg

the larger triangles are adams pebble plus which is like sheen with glass beads and abalone, and the small triangle is pebble sheen.

Mediterranean / Riviera / Blue Granite.

I am going with the Mediterranean, which is similar to pebble sheen Ocean Blue, but with added blue glass beads and abalone.

Tile...

30dfN7G.jpg

I have three samples. and I think the ones with blue are too blue.

The samples are from
NPT Gemstone GMS-Blue ( upper left )
NPT Ridgeline RLN-Multicolor ( center )
NPT Ridgeline RLN-Blue ( right )

I am re-considering and am likely to change the tile to NPT Gemstone GMS-Emerald 6x6 as the colors match the natural rock in the wall and water feature.

note: there is some scale on the water feature and I am intending to bead blast that.

The images online are more vivid than in real life so I think the GMS-Emerald will nicely match the rock and be a great transition. Also, since the pool deck edge has some mottling the varied color scheme will fit in.

Any opinions ?

Attachments

• GMS-Emerald-2.jpg
    GMS-Emerald-2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Thanks !!

Sorry, maybe I mis-spoke. It gets started on April 5th, and they estimated 2 weeks until it has water.

I'll checkout that link.

Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there something I did that un-did the in-line images?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the link. I printed it out. I think they have similar instructions...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.