Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Correcting green water caused by rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Correcting green water caused by rain

My pool water looks green, don't know if its algae however, when i brush then can see brown dust in the water. Anyway decided to slam and the question i've is about Clorine/CYA chart here: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    My FC is 0 and Cya 50 so, based on the chart should i traget shock FC 20? What's shock FC? does it mean i need to bring my FC level to 20? If yes, then how would i test FC of 20? I ordered test kit from this site and i don't think it can test that high level of FC. So, can someone help?
    New build Texas: Build thread Gunite free form, Size 17.5 x 37.5, 14k gallon, Sqft 500, intelliflo SVST pump, Pentair Racer cleaner, 3/4 HP, EZ touch lite, play ledge 50 sft, glo-brite LED, Heater pentair N.G 400,000 BTU, Spa 7 ft diameter. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Correcting green water caused by rain

Rain does not cause algae.

Sounds like you need to SLAM. You used the TF100 to get your CYA, correct?

If so, you use your FAS-DPD test (DPD Powder, R-0870 and reagent, R-0871). Put 10 ml of water in the vial. Add one heaping scoop of powder. While swirling add reagent drops one at a time. When the sample turns clear, take the number of drops and divide by 2. That is your FC. See Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Your shock level FC is 20 with a CYA of 50. Add liquid chlorine, based on PoolMath, to get to FC 20. Run your pump and brush. In an hour or two, test again, add chlorine to get to 20, repeat. After a day or so you will be able to stretch out your additions.

Can you put you what state, country, etc 'Frisco' is in?

Take care.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Tf-100 can test fc to 50
    Casey
    Intex 24' x 52" closed for winter 2018, 2 Main Drains, 1 Skimmer, 1 Return, PVC
    1/2 HP Intex Pump 633T w/ Taeglus TA-40 175 lb 19.5" Sand Filter, Auqabot Extreme Robot
    TF-50 and Taylor 2006 Test Kits, Quality Well Water, Fleck 5800SXT Water Softener

4. Back To Top    #4

It might be algae or maybe iron.

Is it clear green?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post

Can you put you what state, country, etc 'Frisco' is in?
    I'd wager it is in Texas. DFW is the new Seattle, didn't you hear?
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by concretegardenstx View Post
    I'd wager it is in Texas. DFW is the new Seattle, didn't you hear?
    It's Frisco, TX. His signature mentions a "New Texas Build". Frisco is a northern suburb of the Dallas metroplex as you guessed.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Rain does not cause algae.
    I've noticed that after a heavy rain my pool gets cloudy, what causes that?

Above Ground Kayak Pool 12 x 24. 10,000 gallons.
    Northern Virginia
    TF-100 Test Kit
    sta-rite 27002-0100S filter
    Sta-rite 1.5hp pump

8. Back To Top    #8

You simply don't have enough FC in your pool based on your CYA. It's as simple as that. Did you notice that the original poster got algae and he had 0 FC in his pool with a CYA of 50. If he would have maintained the proper amount of FC, he would have been fine. FC of 6-8 and never letting it get below 4 would have kept his pool clear after the rain.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit