It's all TFP's Fault - Can't swim anywhere without my test kit

Costas > DownUnder

Bronze Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Adelaide | Australia
Joined up back in Dec 17... still coming up to speed with managing a pool but have gained a lot of knowledge.

My pool is still approx. 2 months away.

However, today I find myself interstate in an apartment complex.

My daughter and I decide to pop upstairs for a swim on the rooftop pool.

So after walking through the door onto the roof patio area my first comment should have been - 'Wow, what a nice view'.

However it wasn't - All I was fretting about was that I did not have a suitable pool test kit in my back pocket and I was already intent on scanning the water clarity and looking for defects that may have been present in the pool before even setting foot on the patio... :D

My daughter just jumped in and stated the water was nice before I had completed my in-depth analysis....:p

Water turned out to be reasonably clear and yes the view was nice...!

Pool did show some signs of wear & tear and possible incorrect water balance over time (scaling above water line and stains embedded in the corner grout lines from algae etc).

Next time I will need to remember to pack my test kit in my luggage....:D

kNT4on.jpg

Water seemed clear...

DoDg89.jpg

Some scaling/buildup above waterline and grunge in the corners where the pool person has been a bit slack.

O8pCbP.jpg

[emoji23] I'm the same lately! Friends posting pictures of their kids swimming in their backyard pool... I no longer see cute kids having fun, but unbalanced, nasty water. Can't even see a few inches below the waterline, let alone the bottom a lot of the time [emoji40] I've definitely become a TFP snob and I don't even have water in my pool yet (well, except rain water).

Hope the wedding went well yesterday. So muggy here at the moment. Pool would be nice [emoji6]

The really sad part is it is SO easy to do it the TFP way! Plus it is better for the wallet as well!

I have never know how anyone could allow their child swim in a pool where you cannot see the bottom! I used to lifeguard for swim parties at homes. I would go meet with the parents before the party to set the ground rules AND to see the pool. There was one pool you could not see you hand under the water. NOPE! They commented they had worked hard to get it clean!!! It was a green monster the week before so they had been throwing everything the pool store sold them to get it where it was at that time. I declined my services as it was NOT safe!!!

All of this was in my teenage years.......way before I even knew about TFP so I did not have the tools to help them get it clean :( Just the brains to know I did not want to be in charge of keeping my eyes on 20 kids I could not see under the water!!!

Kim:kim:

The local water park gives me the heebie jeebies. The lazy river makes me feel as if I'm swimming in a toilet. Luckily my kids are getting older and don't care much about going any more.

Ignorance is bliss....

It’s kinda like magic or a great suspense movie, once you know the trick, it kinda ruins the fun.

Over this past Christmas holiday, we stayed at a hotel. They had an indoor heated saltwater pool. I clarity wasn’t bad at all, but I tried my hardest to stay out of it. But the kids wanted nothing to do with Daddy’s wishes and demanded I join them in the pool! I keep telling myself that it’s probably better that I didn’t have a test kit with me. I just didn’t need to know....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You know what??? So long as you can see the bottom then turn off your brain and have fun with the kids! Make is a point to not open your eyes underwater and know you will have to take a shower to once you are done. Jump in and make memories with the kids!!

Kim:kim:

cd,

You have got to admit that is a pretty good place to have a pool, and the view is amazing!!!

I find the wood deck to be a very interesting feature...

Thanks for the pics,

Jim R.

No problem Jim - Pics are not DSLR quality as I just snapped them on my phone.

Wood decking was nice and easy on the feet and yes we enjoyed the view.

Probably a good choice of flooring for a building patio rooftop (relative lighter weight loading) and the direct sun would possibly render some other materials quite hot up there.

You know what??? So long as you can see the bottom then turn off your brain and have fun with the kids! Make is a point to not open your eyes underwater and know you will have to take a shower to once you are done.

Actually my 8yr old daughter was wearing her swimming googles (she also always wears them at the local pool where she takes lessons) and I hadn't considered the thought of an infection being transferred through the eyes - good point...!

In the end I just looked at the water clarity and assumed that was reasonably safe.... I'm still alive today so it couldn't have been too bad...:D

Anyway - back in my home town now and still thinking about our family pool project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.