Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In floor cleaning system, caretaker

1. Back To Top    #1

In floor cleaning system, caretaker

Does anyone have experience with a Caretaker in-floor cleaning system? Or a Vanquish?

Share your experiences, please.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In floor cleaning system, caretaker

We have a Caretaker 5-port system that we inherited with our pool. The cleaning function is good but not excellent, and this is after I've fine-tuned with new pop-up heads, nozzle adjustments, synchronization, etc. I'm not sure cleaning gets better with other brand in-floor systems. If I was building a new pool and cleaning was my main goal, I would probably not pay the price to install an in-floor system, but invest in a robot cleaner instead.

OTOH, I do like that the floor system gives me more "returns" for water distribution, especially when the heater is on. Heated water from 24 pop-up heads thoughout the bottom of the pool is more efficient than our double return on one wall of a 40 foot pool.
    18Kgal play pool+spillover spa, Tahoe Blue Quartzscape refurb June 2017, ~40'x15'
    1.5HP VS JeP, CCP420 cartridge filter, Sta-Rite 400HD, 1.0HP VS JeP for sheer descents
    Caretaker 5-port in-floor system, AP1400 SWCG, Aqualink: RS-8 Combo, iQ20, One-Touch
    K-1005, K-1515 FAS-DPD, K-1766, Taylor 9056 comparator, SpeedStir!

3. Back To Top    #3

With you living in PA and needing to close for the winter a in floor cleaning system can cause problems with this. I think you would be better off with a good robot cleaner. The Dolphins are getting great reviews. There are several threads about them. The white box at the top of the page will help you find some of them.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I chose the Paramount PCC2000 in floor system when I had the pool built, and 20 years later, I consider it the best $2000 bucks I have ever spent! I've only had to replace 4 nozzles in 20 years, and Paramount still honors their lifetime warranty! I've worked on a few of the older Caretaker systems, and they don't perform nearly as well as my PCC2000..
    11,000 gallon Tahoe blue pebble tec, PCC 2000 in floor cleaning system, with two Pentair 1.7HP cleaning pumps, and a separate pump for water feature, Frog chlorinator, 60 SF DE Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh... I didn't think of the winter closing issue. We will be closing every October and won't reopen until May. THere will be inevitable debris that accumulates over the winter.