Warning TFP: Walmart concentrated bleach is now 6%!

atx

Sep 3, 2014
DFW, TX
Saw this today at walmart:

bleach.jpg

They still had a few old ones mixed in with date codes from January, but the newest ones had the 6% label. It had a different UPC number than the 6% cleaning bleach, and was different than the old 8.25% bleach.

Haha, grocery store shrink ray....funny.

Clorox introduced a "new" product line called CloroMax Technology. As best as I can tell, they've added an additional metal sequestrant to the formulation to better control trace metals (iron and nickel mainly) that are the main source of bleach decomposition. Better trace metal control allows them to reduce the concentration and have the bleach last longer as well as improve yellow-staining that occurs with higher strength bleach. Problem is, for pools, no one wants the extra "chemicals" in their water (although they'd probably have no effect) AND they lowered the concentration without any significant change in price. At my local Costco, Clorox 8.25% used to sell as a 3-pack for about $9.99. It's now CloroMax (6%) in a 3-pack and it sells for $9.49. So that's a 27% reduction in bleach concentration for a 5% reduction in price....it was already an expensive form of bleach to purchase and now it's even worse!

Hopefully Walmart and Target will not follow suit but I doubt it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.