Can I keep chemicals somewhat balanced in this instance?

tzutse

Aug 8, 2017
Frisco, TX
I noticed this morning that the pool was looking a little cloudy and then noticed the pump had not come on. It maybe has been a day since I remember seeing the water come over the spa ledge. Our pool pump isn't working and the repair guy will be able to come out on Monday....today is Friday.

Is there anything I can do to avoid algae from forming? It has been raining for days in Texas and I'm a little worried about the pool. I worked sooooo hard last spring to SLAM it and have had no issues since then. If I need to add chemicals, is brushing the walls going to be enough for circulation? Or is it inevitable that I'm going to be SLAMing it again?

Welcome to the forum!

You can just use your brush to circulate the water a bit each day. The cool water does not let things happen too quickly.

As you state you have SLAM'd before I assume you have a proper test kit.

Can you add how you chlorinate and your test kit to your signature? Keeps us from asking the same questions over and over.

Take care

Suzee,

I am curious why you believe that rain will cause your pool to get algae?? I hear this often, but I can't think of why it should have any effect???

Would appreciate your feedback... I also live in the DFW area and at this point I'm thinking about building an ark.. :p

I agree with Marty... just using your brush, or your leaf net, should provide plenty of circulation..

When my pump is off my pool stays crystal clear, so not sure why yours is turning cloudy... :confused:

What are your current numbers???

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last summer a new member with the pool named "the beast" had a broken pump for a week or two. With bleach, brushing, and a robot going 24/7 she kept the 60,000 gallon pool clear.

Rain only helps your pool, it can flood stuff into it.

Just do some laps!! ;) I asked a similar question a while back. I think it was Kim that suggested walking around the pool with a boat paddle. Has anyone ever tried that? At least you'd get a good work out!

Brushing, moving the water with a robot and anything else you can manage (sump pump sitting on a step for example) will all help mix chlorinated water around your pool and avoid algae for the most part. Your pool *might* lose its sparkle since it isn't being actively filtered but it should be fine as long as you keep your chlorine up.

Use liquid bleach if necessary. Keep testing the FC daily.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks - you all are so awesome! Everything is in normal ranges with the exception of pH which is 8.2. Can I wait until they fix the pump to treat with muriatic acid?

Not sure, but that is a bit high. If it were me, I'd put the MA dose in a bucket of water (5 gal if you got one) and slowly, carefully, dribble it in all around the pool. Then brush to circulate. Others might cringe at that advice, so beware...

Just remember never add water to acid, always add acid to water.

Marty and I are having the same conversation in another thread. He has some alternate advice about adding acid to a non-circulating pool.

New build in southeast Arizona - Page 3

I only added what I still remember from my high school chemistry class:

"Acid inta watta, 'cause that's the way ya aughta."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why can't you add water to acid? I do this all the time to dilute acid for cleaning in the house.

"A large amount of heat is released when strong acids like sulfuric acid and HCl are mixed with water. ... So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container and all this because the reaction is exothermic."

Very dangerous =========

"A large amount of heat is released when strong acids like sulfuric acid and HCl are mixed with water. ... So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container and all this because the reaction is exothermic."

Very dangerous =========

Wow. I love TFP. I've been doing this right all along, but for the wrong reason! I was taught that when you pour any liquid into any other, it is the base liquid, the one into which the other is poured, that splashes back. In other words, if you pour acid into water, all those droplets that splash away from the intersection of the two are water. So if you poured water into acid, the splashes would all be acid. I had no idea about the chemical reaction going on. Good on ya, TFP. Thanks Marty!!

I was taught that when you pour any liquid into any other, it is the base liquid, the one into which the other is poured, that splashes back. In other words, if you pour acid into water, all those droplets that splash away from the intersection of the two are water. So if you poured water into acid, the splashes would all be acid.

This is how I learned it also.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.