New build in southeast Arizona

I am going to comment on the handling of muriatic acid and liquid chlorine.

Always wear eye protection.

It is not a good idea to handle these items more than necessary. The dilution is not necessary and leads to multiple chances to spill the product, get it on yourself or items around the pool.

The best way is to add directly to the pool. Best right at a return with the pump running. If you must measure, hold the measuring cup at water level and lower your bottle to the water level and slowly pour into the measuring cup. Then slowly pour the contents of the measuring cup into the pool. Dip the bottom of the bottle into the pool to dilute any drips.

Once you have tested and dosed a few times you will find you can closely 'guesstimate' how much to pour into the pool directly from the bottle without using a measuring cup. Hold the bottle so it 'floats' in the water and tip it to pour out what you need. Slowly.

Lastly, space your additions of acid and chlorine apart by at least 15 minutes.

If you are in any way concerned of poor mixing, use your brush to push the water around a bit in the area you did the additions.

Be sure you do not store acid and liquid chlorine near each other. You should store acid outdoors, not near any metal. I have a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid that I store my acid in. The chlorine should be stored in a cool area.

Take care.

Last edited:
I am going to comment on the handling of muriatic acid and liquid chlorine.

Always wear eye protection.

It is not a good idea to handle these items more than necessary. The dilution is not necessary and leads to multiple chances to spill the product, get it on yourself or items around the pool.

The best way is to add directly to the pool. Best right at a return with the pump running. If you must measure, hold the measuring cup at water level and lower your bottle to the water level and slowly pour into the measuring cup. Then slowly pour the contents of the measuring cup into the pool. Dip the bottom of the bottle into the pool to dilute any drips.

Once you have tested and dosed a few times you will find you can closely 'guesstimate' how much to pour into the pool directly from the bottle without using a measuring cup. Hold the bottle so it 'floats' in the water and tip it to pour out what you need. Slowly.

Lastly, space your additions of acid and chlorine apart by at least 15 minutes.

If you are in any way concerned of poor mixing, use your brush to push the water around a bit in the area you did the additions.

Be sure you do not store acid and liquid chlorine near each other. You should store acid outdoors, not near any metal. I have a 20 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid that I store my acid in. The chlorine should be stored in a cool area.

Take care.

I agree 100%, and have already learned the hard way about doing it "my own way" for which I now regret. I only mentioned the diluting and the bucket because her pump's not running and I didn't think she should just dribble it in in one spot, as it'll sink pretty fast and could be an issue to get it brushed in fast enough. My CYA stain happened because it sank like a rock and I couldn't get to a brush fast enough (and I was quick about it). I'm not sure how MA compares, but without the returns pumping I'd be nervous about not walking it around the pool and just pouring it in in one spot at full strength.

With the pump running, I think your MO is absolutely the way to go. Marty, how would you modify your method when there's no circulation going on?

I would push the brush around the area right before adding. The water continues to move for some time. And add in very small amounts.

I am always worried about dilution, especially acid. A mistake of adding water TO acid can be catastrophic!

Thanks for the advice and tips everyone. We went to Harbor Freight and got a submersible pump. I'm using it to circulate water between the pool and spa. The main body of pool water seems to be holding the PH stable and rising very slowly, but the spa isn't. I've been brushing right after adding a very small amount of acid, usually only 2 ounces at most with the pump running. They should be here today to fix the mistake and finish my start-up. I'm so grateful for this site and the knowledge I've gained. I can't imagine how people would deal with these things without it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.