Sand filter top won't come off and leaks

Feb 22, 2018
Jacksonville
Bought my house with a pool last year and the sand filter and multiport valve leaked. I've recently replaced the pump and the multiport valve but the sand filter still leaks at the top and at the inlet and outlet ports. It is a Triton TR60 and appears very old. I cannot remove the top for the life of me. I feel like the plastic lever is going to snap before the top even budges a little. Is there a trick to opening the top? If I can get it open is there a chance it will be an easy fix to stop it from leaking? Or is there a sealant or glue I can try to put around the top as a stop gap measure until I buy a new filter? I've priced a new top and valves and it would seem smarter to just buy a whole new filter.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum!!

My only comment is that the filter is a pressure vessel. If the leaks are in any way due to a compromised shell discontinue using the filter now and get a new one.

To open it, be sure the pressure is bled off. Then try tapping the shell above the joint that separates the two halves. That may loosen it.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.