Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can an IG robotic cleaner work in an AG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Can an IG robotic cleaner work in an AG pool?

I'm wanting to buy a robotic cleaner (specifically a Dolphin after reading many good reviews), and I was wondering if the ones meant for in-ground pools would work in an above ground vinyl pool. Assuming it's safe for IG vinyl, I don't see how AG vinyl would be any different. Dolphin seems to have a much larger selection of IG vacuums with more features than they do for AG pools, which is why I'd like to get an IG I'm, assuming it'll work in my AG pool.
    Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can an IG robotic cleaner work in an AG pool?

Yes. But Dolphin makes AG cleaners with much the same design architecture and motors as IG cleaners. See the Dolphin E10, Active 10 and S50. Unless you have an extremely large pool (more than 16'x32' oval or 27' round) you could use one of those.
    Aqua Products Certified Premier Service Technician, Maytronics Elite Service Technician, Hayward Authorized Robot Technician. I also dabble in pump, filter, and automotive repair.

Need help choosing a Dolphin? Check out my thread on the features of each model.

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an E10 for my inground that works for AG and inground.

I would recommend looking into that unit. poolpartz.com offers
    refurbished models with warranty for less (thats what I got works great).

If you search the forum for Dolphin E10 I did a review.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

None of those advertise cleaning the walls on the manufacturer's site, but I've heard of some of non wall climbing ones still climbing up the walls and cleaning them. Do you know if any of those 3 will clean your walls?
    Pool Stats: 18' X 48" Vinyl AG, 6,700 gal, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp and Easy-Clear C400 cart, Circupool RJ-45 SWG, Dolphin S300, My AG Pool Mods
    Helpful Links: Pool Logger, PoolMath, TF100 test kit, Recommended Chemical Levels, Ext Test Kit Directions, FC/CYA Chart, Chlorine Date Code Calendar, Polyfill Iron Removal, Borates Drop Test

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    I have an E10 for my inground that works for AG and inground.

I would recommend looking into that unit. poolpartz.com offers
    refurbished models with warranty for less (thats what I got works great).

If you search the forum for Dolphin E10 I did a review.
    B, does this cleaner pick up oak leaves? I need one that can pick them up as that is my main problem.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    None of those advertise cleaning the walls on the manufacturer's site, but I've heard of some of non wall climbing ones still climbing up the walls and cleaning them. Do you know if any of those 3 will clean your walls?
    They climb up the walls a bit, but not to the waterline.

Why do you want it to climb the walls?
    Aqua Products Certified Premier Service Technician, Maytronics Elite Service Technician, Hayward Authorized Robot Technician. I also dabble in pump, filter, and automotive repair.

Need help choosing a Dolphin? Check out my thread on the features of each model.

7. Back To Top    #7

Right, the E10 is not designed to climb walls, however it does climb steep angles in hopper
    style pools like mine with angled walls in the deep end. When it encounters fully vertical
    walls, it climbs until it is straight up, then backs down. Mine goes up and the front of
    it breaks the water line from time to time in the shallow and deep ends. But it definitely
    would not climb straight up vertical walls in a deep end or above ground pool.

Kim, I'm not sure if it can do oak leaves or not...I only get small japanese maple leaves
    once in awhile. I would think it could pick up oak leaves though since most of the
    time they are wet and very flexible to get drawn in.

I forgot to mention the E10 is also the lowest cost robot with an active front
    scrubbing brush.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by thebombardier View Post
    They climb up the walls a bit, but not to the waterline.

Why do you want it to climb the walls?
    More out of curiosity than anything. Probably gonna get an E10 this spring, since it seems like a good reliable one. I had a Hayward Aqua critter one last year, but first time I put it in the pool it would get stopped up on leaves, and then started going in a constant circle not going anywhere. (Yes my pump is more than powerful enough for it). Luckily, I was able to return it to Amazon for full refund.

9. Back To Top    #9

I will keep my eye on this thread since it sounds like a good solution for us. The Polaris is driving me crazy. LOL
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (25mil expandable vinyl liner) ~11,000 gals. Deep end main drain. SkimLine Deluxe Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. Added Salt and Borates. No longer 'pool stored' 7 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Gonna be buying my Dolphin next paycheck (3/29/18). Trying to decide between Dolphin E-10 - refurbished and Dolphin Premium - Refurbished. The "geek factor" of having Bluetooth support for $699 seems too much to pass up, lol. Anyone else have a Dolphin Premium and do you like it or wish you'd bought a different one?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Had a good paycheck this week and ended up buying myself a Dolphon S300. Figured everything else I've bought for my pool has been purchased with the idea that when I get a bigger pool, it'll all work with a much bigger pool, so might as well get a robotic cleaner that will work good with a bigger pool too. The Dolphin Premium is out-of-stock for the season, so went with the next best one since I couldn't see spending $150 more for the extra features of the S300i. Get free 2-3 day shipping, so hopefully it ships out today and will arrive this weekend or Monday. Can't wait to finally set it up and get it cleaning, been looking forward to it since early last fall.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Good times are in your future! Congrats.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Good times are in your future! Congrats.
    Now just the long wait until it arrives. Next few days are gonna crawl by, lol.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

It helps if you order something every day from Amazon so that way something arrives on your doorstep every day. You never have to deprive yourself of fresh goodies!!

Kidding of course. We’ve all see the fallout from that on TV.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Just got the email saying my S300 was shipped, and FedEx tracking code says it will be in tomorrow (Friday)! That's some quick shipping, way faster than Amazon's and it was free shipping.

16. Back To Top    #16

oh darn dude..... we're due to get rain tomorrow here in GA too. I hope your new lil buddy arrives before it hits so you can play... I mean.. put it to work!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Supposed to pour in the morning, but even if it rains later in the day when the robot arrives, I'll be out there with a rain jacket setting it up, lol

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Another one of those times where I really wish I'd taken a "before" picture, lol.

Robot (my son's name for it, can't fault him for being descriptive, lol) came in the mail and is doing a phenomenal job cleaning the pool. Kid was surprised when it came up to the waterline the first time, right in front of him, lol. It really does a great job of cleaning though. Had a large clump of leaves in the middle and it just ran over them and sucked half up on the first pass and the other half on it's second pass through.

As a side question, anyone know how to tell what year model a Dolphin S300 is? Curious if I got a 2016, 2017, or 2018 model.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    Another one of those times where I really wish I'd taken a "before" picture, lol.

Robot (my son's name for it, can't fault him for being descriptive, lol) came in the mail and is doing a phenomenal job cleaning the pool. Kid was surprised when it came up to the waterline the first time, right in front of him, lol. It really does a great job of cleaning though. Had a large clump of leaves in the middle and it just ran over them and sucked half up on the first pass and the other half on it's second pass through.

As a side question, anyone know how to tell what year model a Dolphin S300 is? Curious if I got a 2016, 2017, or 2018 model.
    If it has a swivel, it's 2018. Beyond that, hard to tell.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Not 2018 then. It's got phenomenal Bluetooth range though. I can sit on my couch and still connect to it and start it cleaning.