Pump upgrade - 1.5HP vsp, 3HP vsp or 2 speed?

Apr 5, 2017
Houston
I have an older pool, large with funky things.
I can get counts on return jets, but the layout has a single pump for pool and spa. A second pump for water feature (which I don't really think is necessary).
I bought some gauges to tap into pump and estimate head loss.
Big thing is that lines to and from the pad are 1.5". At the pad is a mix of 2 and 1.5"
Existing North Star is ok, it leaks. It's loud. I think a 1.5 full rated motor would be fine. Just not sure about the spa.

Regardless, I have a 2HP now. I think the spa has 4 jets.

I have on the table:

• SuperFlo 2 HP Dual Speed, Single Phase Pump - 340044
    • Run low speed unless in spa mode - $$$
  • Pentair SuperFlo VS - 1.5HP Single Phase - 342001 115/230v
    • More speed options, don't have the peak 2HP -- $$$
  • Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V
    • Kitchen sink and most expensive $$$$$

Pentair is listed due to automation and heater.

I've looked at the spreadsheets from losing your head, but I ran out of duct tape for my head.

Photo
pwgNUOG.jpg

mc,

Assuming you want your pump to be controlled by your EasyTouch system, you really only have one choice and that is the 3 HP IntelliFlo...

You could add a 2-speed relay to your ET, and use a 2-speed pump, but then of course you would only have just the two speeds..

With the IntelliFlo, you can control the pump from your remote and make is go whatever speed(s) you want.. The pump is connected to your ET by a serial control cable that comes with the pump...

The Pentair SuperFlo... does not have a serial cable input and can't be easily controlled by the ET...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I have a three speed, each speed setting is adjustable. The default setting on my low speed was a touch too low to work nicely, and the medium speed was far too high to save any money. Being able to tune the speeds easily was very helpful. I would recommend one that allows fine tuning.

Yep if you have pentair automation the choice is an easy one get the inteliflo and don't even think twice about it. It will be quiet and save you a good amount on the electric bill.

Make sure to check with your utility company for rebates for upgrading to a energy efficient pump. Could cut hundreds of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.