Niche Bonding

mood

Feb 17, 2018
Los Angeles, ca
Hi all, I'm an electrician with a dilemma!
So a customer had some trenching done by the pool and the conduit to the pool light got hit. I've already repaired the PVC and pulled in a #6 bonding wire. Problem is, once the potting was removed, it revealed a severely corroded lug. Question is, am I SOL with the existing niche or are there options to remake a solid bond?
Thanks.

There are bolt on lugs that you could use and you should also re-pot the area with potting compound. Since you probably can't access the back of the niche to bolt the lug on, you'll have to use a rivet or a threaded insert.

There are bolt on lugs that you could use and you should also re-pot the area with potting compound. Since you probably can't access the back of the niche to bolt the lug on, you'll have to use a rivet or a threaded insert.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking a copper lug would do but just not confident in how to secure it in a way that would pass an inspection. I definitely don't want any leaks! I'm assuming that there's concrete directly behind the niche, so if I drilled the niche, I would also have to drill concrete in order to install a rivet. Would the rivet have to be brass, or would the potting compound protect aluminum?

The potting compound would protect the aluminum from the chemicals, but it would help with the galvanic corrosion. That's why I suggested the threaded insert. You can get those in stainless. If you go with the rivet, then I'd suggest brass if you can find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.