MN Pool Build for End of April or May

Feb 8, 2018
Annandale, MN
Hi everyone. One of my first memories in life was wanting a pool, I use to wear a swimsuit under my clothing (even in the winter) in case the opportunity to swim would arise and now as an adult I'm finally going to be able to get my pool! I know no one with a pool let alone an in ground pool (MN - lots of lakes) so I know nothing about pools (besides that fact I want one, bad) and I have no one to ask who is familiar with them. Anyways so we got quotes from 2 reputable builders and one was significantly less then the other so we put our deposit down and are looking forward to this spring/summer! I have read some post on here where people post the components of the pool and get advice and I'm hoping some of you experts will be as kind to give me advice and feedback on what we have planned for ours.

Size & Shape: 18'X36' Rectangle
Pool Walls: Steel
Liner: Vinyl
Steps: Full width
Deck Support: Concrete piers
Lights: 1 Large LED
Filter: Jandy Cartridge
Pump: Jandy ePump Variable
Heater: 260,000 BTU Jandy JXi
Skimmer: 2
Returns: 4
Floor Drains: 2
Valving: Individual
Water Purifier: Aqua Pure Salt
Control System: Aqualink PDA remote
Undertrack Autocover: Coverstar undertrack system and autocover
Automatic Cleaner: Polaris 280T
Concrete: 3'X3'X3'X5' then we are adding an additional 4' on the back and a 34'x12' patio

We hire plumber and electrician separate but will most likely use the one the pool builder works with.

How does the equipment list look? Any suggestions/opinions or things I should bring up with the builder or change?

Another thing I'm being told is that from the time they break ground on the pool till its filled with water is 3 days. Does this seem right? From what I'm reading on here is that it typically takes longer? For the surround concrete he did say it may get done the following week but the entire project should take a week max.

Also from poking around on here I discovered a software called landscape pro that allowed me (ok my husband..haha) to draw out the pool in our backyard so ill attach it just for fun to give a visual and show off his hard work ;). The picture has a dark gray colored concrete surround I think we changed our mind due to the heat the color would retain and are just going to do normal brushed concrete and then maybe stain it eventually. That or we may add some color during the pour we just need to see samples from the pool builder. I asked the pool builder to quote aggregate and it was $16/sqft so that wont be happening.

Please if you have any suggestions let us know we want to make sure we do it right and are happy about the choices we made!
Thank You!!!!

Pool.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

If you get your pool build done in 3 days yours will be the quickest I have ever heard of! I would think scheduling for permit inspections has to add some time.

Your not showing a volume but be sure your SWCG is rated for 2x your pool volume.

Have fun!

A pool? You are getting a pool??? SWEET!! :party: Your dreams are coming true!!

How deep will this awesome pool be?

Did you know you do not HAVE to have the floor drains? This is something to think about as it adds a "hole" in the ground/liner. You can mix the water up good with just the returns and skimmers.

Valves-what kind? VERY important to know.

I would LOVE to see the real pic of the yard/house. Your husband did a fine job with the mock up...........now for the real thing.

Kim:kim:

Its been a long winter in MN and even a week ago we had lots of snow on the ground so I figured our pool build would be delayed due to the weather and it would be but since it's been so cold the road restrictions in MN haven't been lifted and since our pool doesn't require dirt to be removed from the yard they are able to get us in before others! So yesterday they dug the pool, today they are forming it along with doing part of the electrical and tomorrow the liner will go in and it will be filled with water. The surround and patio wont be able to get done though until road restrictions are lifted but I'm still over the moon excited!

yardbefore.jpg
Pooldig1.jpg

The Jandy-PDA system will not allow you to control your pool from a phone/computer (from anywhere). You just have control from the PDA only. Including programming it which is very cloogy on the PDA. I suggest keeping the PDA system but adding the Jandy IQ20RS which will upgrade your system to the full iAqualink but allow you to keep the PDA which is exactly what I did. IQ20RS is around $550 and you can do it yourself in 10 minutes. Do NOT Upgrade to the IQ20a as it is useless. The IQ20RS is what you need.

Also if it is not too late I suggest upgrading the heater to the 400k btu. It isn't much more but will heat faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.