Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my wife right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my wife right?

So, we moved to the house a little over a year ago, so far Iíve replaced the pump, added SWCG and replaced the automation.

But my pipes are a mess (to me) and I really think ripping it all out, putting down a proper concrete pad and spacing it all out a little would be well worth it. The driver being that I forgot to add a check valve between the heater and SWCG.

My wife thinks Iím nuts and should just leave it alone...

Is she right?

22,000 gal IG pebletech with raised IG spillover spa, test Kit: Taylor K2006
    Pump - Pentair Inteliflo 2 VST
    Heater - Pentair Master Temp 250, Filter - Pentair FNSP 60 DE
    Automation - Jandy iAquaLink 2.0 RS8
    SWCG - Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Robot "Dora" the Dolphin A30i

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my wife right?

NOOOOOO don't make me say it...........................us wives have to stick together................................shhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell her I said this but............you are right. It needs to be redone
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

jb,

The short answer is yes... She is right....

While you always want a check valve between a 3" tab dispenser and a heater, this is just not necessary for a SWCG...

Unlike a tab dispenser the SWCG will not produce chlorine when off.

So, it looks like you will have to come up with a better 'excuse' for your equipment pad upgrade.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmmm - that is a consensus answer!!!
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mknauss View Post
    Hmmmm - that is a consensus answer!!!
    Marty,

My understanding is that what damages a heater is the acid in the tablets flowing back into the heater causing really low pH... This is something that does not happen with a SWCG.

Besides.. the wife is 'always' right...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

I was commenting on Kim saying he was right and you saying she was right!!

I agree - no check valve is needed with a SWCG.

So I will say -- SHE is right!
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes.

oh wait....was there another question here?? I was just answering the topic line... lol

As to the work in question- as long as you're not asking *her* to do it....what diff does it make? Just tell her you'll feel better with the equipment spaced out a bit. Do it if it makes you happy.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

Thereís a thread over at Trouble Free Wives forum about whether or not they are right by default....the forum is on the dark web and I canít share the IP address on the public internet. If you want access youíll need to install special blockchain encryption software (similar to how Bitcoin operates) and fork over some serious cash to join.

Load up the Confide App on your phone and send me a self-destructing message if youíre interested....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    as long as you're not asking *her* to do it....what diff does it make?
    It means I get to work on other "more important" honey do's around the house

Thanks guys for the input, glad I don't NEED to put in the extra check valve, as you can see there is no room...
    22,000 gal IG pebletech with raised IG spillover spa, test Kit: Taylor K2006
    Pump - Pentair Inteliflo 2 VST
    Heater - Pentair Master Temp 250, Filter - Pentair FNSP 60 DE
    Automation - Jandy iAquaLink 2.0 RS8
    SWCG - Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Robot "Dora" the Dolphin A30i

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jobybett View Post
    It means I get to work on other "more important" honey do's around the house
    <ouch!> my head hurts! LOL

M.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

11. Back To Top    #11

You don't need to do it. But if you want to do it, I'd wait until something happens that needs cutting into the plumbing and do it then. A happy wife is a happy life!
    Keith
    15,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool, 1.5" PVC plumbing
    1.0HP Sta-Rite DuraGlass P2R pump, Hayward S244T sand filter
    Teledyne-Laars Lite-2 250k heater, Hayward CL200 chlorinator
    Polaris 380/Hayward 6060 booster pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Valentine's Day was yesterday. Now you can do whatever you want.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Pat, that's a belly laugh, that!

I wouldn't touch it until it needs something. But if you need an excuse, you can always say that the internet pajama people said so.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Tips for New Members to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners