Pool / spa combo - no return line to spa

Feb 15, 2018
california
Hello,

We recently re-plastered our pool, changed the filter and replaced and old pump with a Pentair variable speed pump. At the time to start the pool, we did not know how to fill up the spa. We used a garden hose but there is no circulation of the water. We ran the booster pump and it returns water via the Jets, but does not increase the water level.

There is a return valve that can be set to return water either to the pool or the spa. When in pool mode, the water is returned to the pool and I can see the water circulating. When in spa mode, the filter experiences an increase of pressure, but there is nothing coming out of the spa, and I can see a little amount of water running through the pool return.

Last night I use my garden hose and plugged it into one of the jets and the water returns out of all of them.

My question is the following;

Is there a possibility that the contractor plugged the return line inside the spa while plastering? If so, how can I check without breaking the concrete and massive work?

Thank you

C,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all your waterless Spa questions... even if you are ashamed of the city you live in.... :shark:

A couple of pics of your equipment pad would be of great help...

Is this spillover spa, where water pours back into your pool?

How did it all work before your upgrade?

Something sure does not sound right.. If you only move the Return valve to the Spa position, your Spa should fill up and overflow... :confused:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hello and Thank you.

The pool had been empty for 2 years and the waterfall was working fine before that. Then we did the plastering, new pump and new filter. Everything works fine, except getting water into the spa.

Thank you.

C,

Well, unfortunately, I can't make heads nor tails out of your equipment pad picture... Does not appear that you have much room to take a pic. :(

My 'guess' is that something got plumbed wrong when they were replacing your equipment... but that is just a guess..

If you can take some pad pics in the daylight from better angles showing the valves, then maybe one of our experts might be able to spot something out of place.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I will take a picture later tonight. I removed the valve handle and valve to see if it was actually turning.

Are the jets and return line on the same system?

I believe there was a return line inside spa , like a weep hole, but not 100% sure.

There is a 1" line with a check valve that connects the return water to spa jets, but unless there is a valve below the tee on the return side you probably will never get a enough pressure to force water to spa. You may also create backpressure by using smaller opening eyeballs on the pool returns.

Thank you.

I went back at it tonight and I plugged all of the pool return holes, no changes were observed. The filter raises the pressure, the suction also decreases at the skimmer.

20180215_173738.jpg

The jets only work via boost pump.

Any other suggestions?

20180215_172936.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a 1" line with a check valve that connects the return water to spa jets, but unless there is a valve below the tee on the return side you probably will never get a enough pressure to force water to spa. You may also create backpressure by using smaller opening eyeballs on the pool returns.

Hello,

Last night I plugged all of the openings that are located inside the pool, I ran the pump with the valve set to spa, nothing happened.

Is there a possibility that there was an additional return line, below the jets and was plugged with plaster ? If this is the case, how can I locate this line without breaking concrete?

Thank you

No, I did not do the work. I have a contractor that states that there was no additional pipe. We are trying to figure out what is going on. I would like to gather more info. before we brake the concrete and expose the piping system.

Thank you.

Did your system work before the reconditioning work?

What parts of the system you show in your drawing were modified, replaced, etc during the project?

Unless there is something significant in the answers to the above, the only answer is either the inlet in the spa you show as Spa Return was plugged off or the three way valve is faulty at your Pool/Spa return lines.

Did your system work before the reconditioning work?

Yes, the system was working, I had a waterfall from the spa and into the pool

What parts of the system you show in your drawing were modified, replaced, etc during the project?

Filter
Pump
Black Valve (suction port)
Check valve on the return ( spa was draining to pool overnight)
All the pool jets
All the spa jets

Unless there is something significant in the answers to the above, the only answer is either the inlet in the spa you show as Spa Return was plugged off or the three way valve is faulty at your Pool/Spa return lines.

I removed the valve, it is like a cylinder with a hole, but it turns fine.

C,

If I understand correctly, the valve without a handle is your 'Return' valve that sends the water to either the Pool or the Spa. In your last post, you said you removed the valve, but I assume you mean you inspected the valve and reinstalled it.. it rotates ok, but you have just left the handle off.. Is this true??

Based upon all the things that you have said, then I have to agree it sounds like something has happened that is keeping the water from returning to the Spa. But there is no way for us to tell if a pipe has been plastered over or not. To make matters worse, I can't think of any easy way to determine the answer... Sorry.. :(

If this were my pool, I would remove the guts from the Return valve and then try to push a drain snake (or electrical snake) down the pipe and see how far I could get. If I got lucky and it appeared the snake was at the spa, then maybe ramming it against whatever is stopping it might let you locate it by the sound it was making...

Let's hope that one of our other members has some better ideas..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.